Author Topic: maintenance questions  (Read 6607 times)

Offline DMAMotorsports

• DMA Motorsports
maintenance questions
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:23:12 pm »
I have a couple general maintenance questions for everyone:

1 What is a good amount of oil to run in the 1250 sealed motors? I currently have about 4 quarts plus about 4 oz when the motor is off It fills the sight glass full and when the motor is at idle the sight glass is about half full or a little less.
      Also what is the replacement options for the oil filters that are right on the motor, I currently have a Napa gold 1347, any other options?
2 how often to change rear gear lube? I put fresh stuff in 5 races ago and I only have one set of gears to run so I havn't had to drain it yet.
3 Fuel filter/fuel pump I have not touched these yet and I am not sure if they ever have been touched, what are part numbers and places to pick them up and how regularly should I do the filter?

Lastly can someone walk me through how to make sure I didn't mess up a fuel mixture screw or something else with my carbs I tried to adjust the idle down on it and I turned all three screws out not knowing that there was a master idle screw. the car starts hard now and sounds way more blubbery than before. I have tried to adjust the screws back but they seem to not change anything and I don't want to mess up a fairly fresh motor because of a fuel and air delivery problem.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Anthony K.
DMA Motorsports

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: maintenance questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:51:43 pm »
Amount of oil varies depending on your cooler(s), oil filter size, length of lines, etc.
I recommend the oil level be at the lower of the 2 marks on the sight glass while the engine is running, or about 1/3 of the way up.

As for oil filters, I run WIX 51085, just a personal choice. make sure if you do change, that you keep the same thread pitch! have seen more than one oil filter come off during a race because people switched brands, and the threads are different. it will thread on, but shake itself loose.

I change my gear lube every off season, so 25-30 races. I'm sure it's good longer than that, but I like to start the season fresh. I use Redline lightweight shockproof gear lube

Fuel filter. I recommend and only use my 10 micron fuel filter. Normal fuel filters are 40 micron usually in this size. Biggest concern is with ethanol in the fuel around here, it degrades the fuel cell foam more quickly. Get a little foam in your carbs, and then you need to go through them.

You messed up the synchronization on your carbs. the rear of the 3 screws syncs the back 2 carbs, the front one syncs the front 2, and the middle one syncs the fronts to the rears. Find someone at your track with a synchronizer, they can have you ready to go in 20 minutes. I've sync'd many a carb at the track for customers on race day
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline DMAMotorsports

• DMA Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:09:35 pm »
thanks jim, I honestly know no one that knows how to do this off hand so ill have to check around with a few guys. I was also wondering about the fuel pump its self, like I said I bought the car with everything working and have tried to stick with the adage of if it ain't broke don't fix it. My down fall is I came from running a very well maintained and fast dirt oval karting operation (which is still for sale if anyone is interested). I tore the thing down every week to clean, inspect, service and find speed. When I moved to legends I have maintained the same Idea but am struggling to ensure I have enough parts on hand to cover me at the track plus help the group of drivers out that I pit with regularly. We have an off week this week and I have the car pretty well stripped and I noticed that the fuel pump is not clicking as loud as it used to when I bought it, hence where my concern came from that I may need to change it. Also I run 91 oct. pump gas from the cenex up the street in my car is that ok or should I be researching a different fuel source.
Anthony K.
DMA Motorsports

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:49:54 pm »
I have the same fuel pump on my car that it came with 7 years ago, and it was used at that time for who knows how long.
If you are concerned about it, test the fuel pressure, they usually push around 4-5 psi.

Fuel really depends on how your car is tuned.

Personally, I run 75% whatever premium (91-93 octane) I can find that doesn't have ethanol in it, and 25% 114 leaded race fuel, more for the lubrication properties than for the extra octane.

I used to run straight premium with a lead additive, but cant find the additive anymore.

I'm sure there are 1000 different opinions, that's just mine, for what it's worth.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline DMAMotorsports

• DMA Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:04:39 am »
OK Thanks, on a side note, Jim did You get my message about the missing ball joints? I did call you back with my last name. Everything else showed up and looks great, so thank you for the help getting that stuff lined up.
Anthony K.
DMA Motorsports

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:33:09 am »
Yes, they went out this morning.
Sorry about that
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline DMAMotorsports

• DMA Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:50:46 am »
No problem I was getting them for spares anyway.
Anthony K.
DMA Motorsports