Author Topic: chirping sound when cranking motor  (Read 6525 times)

Offline xfire62

chirping sound when cranking motor
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:47:20 pm »
Have new sealed 1250 15 races on it. Can hear a chirping sound when you crank it over cold. Checked exhaust gaskets, head gasket,  compression, did a leak down and all are fine. Sounds almost like a compression release and is definitely on an exhaust stroke.  Don' t hear it when motor is hot or running.  Checked for air leaks by the carbs, and all around where the head joins, re-torqued the head and found nothing. Motor runs strong, idles fine, just have this puzzling chirp sound. Anyone ever had something like this?

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: chirping sound when cranking motor
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 11:30:09 pm »
head gaskets going on it.  Common problem, I've seen cars that have this and the motors run strong for a while.

Dan

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:58:48 pm »
As I recall from past thread on the subject, it turned out to be head gasket related.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:25:29 am »
Headgasket.
Try re-torqueing it hot.
May help...just a Band-Aid, but may get you through a few more races
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline xfire62

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:04:37 am »
Have had head gaskets go on other motors, you could feel air leaking, head temperature at the leaking area or the exhaust was cooler, this doesn't have any of that,  this just sounds different. Why wouldn't it show on the leak down test if the head gasket was leaking?  The chirp has more of a metallic tone to it rather than an air leak.

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:27:40 pm »
Throw caution flag to retorquing hot. I have never done one hot.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
Official USLC Dealer - Ohio
330-310-9212

Offline xfire62

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 09:47:10 pm »
Had it checked by some folks at the track tonight that know these motors, sound seems to be coming from the back or the rear carb. No believes it to be the head gasket. All agreed that it sounds more like a squeak than a chirping air leak as I described. Car was fast enough to get the pole, to bad the rain came and ended the night. Still puzzled!!!!

Offline Legends16

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:03:52 am »
Had one myself, head gasket.

Offline xfire62

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:50:23 pm »
Talked with Chad at 600, first time I talked with him he's  a really great guy to deal with. Went over what it sounds like and where we hear it. Talked about the tests we did and how the motor performs.  Told me I could rule out the head gasket and that it was either the starter clutch or the clutch basket making the noise and I shouldn't have to worry about it. Kind of figured it had to be something else, since anytime I lost a head gasket it went right at the back two header pipes. Just something to keep in mind and check if anyone else starts to hear a noise like this.

anything