Author Topic: Rim weights  (Read 12673 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Rim weights
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:24:57 pm »
I see all the guys in the summer shoot out running the Bessett wheels and all the guys up here run the Chrome wheels.  In researching the Basset wheels are lighter but more expensive.  Is that the only difference?

FFmedic

Re: Rim weights
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:40:12 pm »
I'm new at this, so I might be wrong, but my dealler here said that the valve stems are on the inside of them.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:56:55 pm »
Both of you are correct. I have found that Bassets are not that true but are a great wheel. A legends bumper will go right in a wheel and take the valve steem right off. YES, I learned this the hard way...............LOL................. ;D
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:22:26 pm »
I'm kind of curious...  How often does that happen?  How did you fair on that one?

I'm likely to stick with the heavy chrome puppies for now, but I'd like to hear more.  Might change up for the following year.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:27:23 am »
I absolutely hate chrome rims on a racecar.  Usually they are a little bit heavier than their black counterparts (unless they are powdercoated).  The main thing I hate is the time it takes to make chrome rims look good.  When they are kept up real well it makes the car look real clean.  When they are not kept up too well, it makes the whole car look dirty, no matter how clean the car really is. 

Unfortunately our late model came with two brand new sets of chrome rims :(.
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:44:09 am »
The chrome wheel weighs in at 17.35lbs, and the Bassetts weigh in at 17.15lbs. From our dealer the chrome wheels are about $25 cheaper. I have lost 2 valve stems on the chrome wheels and so far none on  the Bassetts.

Geoff

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:34:15 am »
Another downside to the chrome rims is that it is harder to spot crack formations in them.  Black rims show it a bit better under a black light. ......Maybe if I used a chrome light on the chrome rims I could catch them easier?
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:16 am »
I have just lost the one tire because of the bumper but is was no fun. Had a great car and stuck my nose under my teammate and he came down (just little ) and down she went. It wasn't all that bad until the next corner................ :o

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:32 am »
Can the valve stem on the chrome wheels be relocated to the inside of the rim?  The outside hole would just need a plug. 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »
I'm sure you could do that but don't know how your local tech guy would look at that. It seems harmless to me though.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 01:22:12 pm »
Yes.
Check to make sure valve stem will clear brake parts, etc...
Not sure on the tech issue, but don't think there should be an issue.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:39:17 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.  I had heard that the bassett wheels where too light and wold not pass tech.  good to see there is not that much difference in the actual weight.  Rolling weight for sure.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:44:32 pm »
The dealer up here sells March racing wheels and they are very nice.  Stright with the stem on the inside.  The have a nice wheel with a chorme center and black rim looks cool on most cars ( they have black and chorme also).  I have bassets and when they need to be replaced I will get these..
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 03:14:26 pm »
Just be sure to meet Wheel/Tire weight rule.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

FFmedic

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:47:21 pm »
After reading this post, I'm glad I spent a little extra to get the Bassets.  I didn't realize the wieght difference, just got them cause of the valve stem placement.  The more I hang out and read stuff on this site, the more I realize I need to learn about these cars and stock car racing in general.  Cars are way different then mower racing. :o  Go figure. LOL!!!!

Gartner