Author Topic: Coilover Spring Length  (Read 5978 times)

Offline The Tank

Coilover Spring Length
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:42:44 pm »
How do you guys determine coilover spring length needed? I realize in some cases its for ride height. I'm trying to determine the length I need ahead of time for a chassis I'm working on. Its not a legends chassis but thought maybe you guys could lead me in the right direction. I've also got to start from scratch on determining spring rating needed. Thanks for any pointers or advice you may have.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Coilover Spring Length
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:12 pm »
Frank,

Only choices are 8" and 10".
I would go with the 8" onyour car.
Just my thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline The Tank

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:48:43 pm »
Thanks steve. I was thinking that's what Id probably use but not sure on coilbind. I know most smaller race vehicles use the 8" ones but didn't know if there is an advantage or disadvantage between the 8" or 10".

Offline knight202

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:27:49 pm »
I upgrade an old dwarf chassis to 10" springs (hypercoil) which ended up being a hassle due to where I needed to mount the tops of the coil overs. I picked up a new car running 8" springs and Im fine with them, I havent had a chance to weigh my old springs as compared to the 8" but there should be a weight savings per spring of a couple of coils. You can get good springs for both 10 and 8, but if you are running dwarf cars on dirt you might want to talk to them as they may run 10" for coil bind issues. If its asphalt, 8" should work fine and be lighter.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »
Frank runs a mini late model on dirt. It is a lawn mower powered car, somewhat similar to a Bando car. His deal is nothing like a Legends or Dwarf car.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.