Author Topic: Driver Personal Equipment, What do you wear? (Helmet, Suit, Etc??)  (Read 9866 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

So as I begin my journey back on the track for the first time in 15 years there is alot to buy. Besides tools I need a suit, helmet, and neck restraint. The expense is greater than anticipated. You can spend ALOT of money or you can go relativly inexpensive. Seems you can go helmet to feet for about $1000 or you can spend $3000. Safety is important to me as I am sure it is to most of you. Can I trust the $150 G-force suit or do I need to spedn $400+ on the Simpson Nomex.

I am thinking I should protect my grape with some high quality stuff but will probably go cheap on the suit.

So I'm curious what you guys wear, what brand and model and what it cost if you don't mind sharing?

Helmet
Suit (Nomex or other, 1 layer or 2)
Head and Neck Restraint
Gloves
Shoes

Arm restraints?

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Driver Personal Equipment, What do you wear? (Helmet, Suit, Etc??)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Here is a site that you can get a good suit for a great deal. www.raceimage.com I used them and was very happy with there service. I went new with my helmet and this time I bought a Bell. I have always used Simpson but the Bell felt so much better. I use a NecksGen but it is a older style. You can always look at www.racingjunk.com for deals too. I do not like the head & neck devices that use straps. just my personal preference. Hope that helps.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline ajagoditsh

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 11:03:11 am »
I use a 2 piece suit from Profox. Its triple layer SFI 5 rated.  Suit, shoes and gloves were about $450. I also used a Necksgen head restraint which I tested Friday night. Worked perfectly! Safety equipment is a good chunk of change, but we'll worth it. I wasn't going to buy a single layer suit. I'm 6'4" so it was difficult to find a suit with length that wasn't the size of a blimp in girth. Lol. Profox has tall sizes so I went with them. Good luck, and don't go cheap.

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:41:28 pm »
Stay away from the ultra budget stuff. I would not use anything less than a 2 layer suit and SFI 3.2A/5.
There is a large company that is selling single layer private label SFI 3.2A/1 gear, it scares the hell out of me to imagine wearing that in a fire.
3.2A/1 is rated to protect against 2nd degree burns for 3 seconds.
3.2A/5 is rated to protect against 2nd degree burns for 10 seconds.
I'd happily pay the extra $100 for 7 seconds

Personally, I use RaceQuip and NecksGen, but that's because I sell it, so I'm biased.
Saferacer.com has a great selection and variety, and often has closeouts of last years designs for a good discount. Actually bought myself a set of Alpine Stars gloves from them this spring because they were on clearance for half price, and I always wanted white gloves.

Make sure you don't accidently buy kart stuff, and make sure you buy SFI tagged gear.

Jim
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 05:59:29 pm »
I have a Simpson 2 layer suit, Rhonda a Racequip suit, single piece. G-force and Bell helmets. HCR, G-force and Racequip gloves.
Simpson under garments. Havent bought new belts yet. I am thing Racequip or Simpson at this point

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:00:49 pm »
speedway motors and wine country  always treated us well...  sparco procomp suit, sparco boots and gloves, impact hemet.

joe

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 09:54:13 am »
Helmet: Bell K1 ($430 Saferacer.com)
Suit: Sparco Jade  3 layers SFI 3.2A/5($270 Saferacer.com)
Hans Device: I found a used carbon fiber on Cragslist for $300. I ended up having to send it to Hans to get it re-certified. No biggie
Gloves: K1 PRO X AUTO RACING ($49 k1racegear.com)
Shoes: K1 Pilot Auto Racing Shoes ($120 k1racegear.com)
Headsock: K1 Balaclava - Double Layer Nomex Headsock ($35 k1racegear.com) I don't understand why more racers don't wear one. Look at the burns on Dale Jr's neck. That's bc his neck was exposed to flames. It makes it a little warmer but I'd rather not be burned.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline Legends16

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
Theres some good advice here, Ill chime in.

1) Multilayer simpson Suit.  Stay away from anything single layer.
2) I also wear Carbon X SFI underwear under my suit along with SFI rated socks.
3) Simpson high toped shoes.
4) Alpine Stars gloves
5) Simpson Pro Rage head and neck restraint system
6) A Bell BR-1 helmet.

Check out some of the suits on the Simpson website, many times they will have stuff on clearance.

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:33:42 pm »
Helmet: Bell (sponsored discount deal with them)
Suit: Simpson 2 layer one piece- SFI 3.2A/5
Hans Device: defNder (From 2009)
Gloves: Alpinestars SFI 3.2A/5
Shoes: Lico (Sparco) SFI 3.2A/5
Headsock: Oakley Carbon-X Single Eye Balaclava - this is long enough to completely cover my neck

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:54 pm »
I bought Rhonda's suit from Jim (VMSmotorsports). He's a good guy to deal with for any parts or equipment I have needed.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:53 pm »
I moved to legends from karting a few years back so none of my gear had the right ratings.  I had to buy all new gear.   My advice is call up a dealer or manufacturer and offer to be a walking billboard if they sell you the best gear they have for a good price.   This is the best investment you can make in this sport.   Think of safety  as two things: 1. probability of occurrence and 2. consequences.   For a racer the probability of occurrence of some kind of accident is high over multiple seasons.   The consequences of that accident highly depends on your safety gear.   For example, a single layer fire suit will protect you from second degree burns for less than ten seconds if you read the SFI code standards.   Can you get out of the car that fast after a hard crash?

anything