Author Topic: Tuning the Mikuni Carbs  (Read 19403 times)

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Tuning the Mikuni Carbs
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:45:23 am »
I have NO idea how to tune the mikuni carbs on these cars.  I'm sure I could understand it if I took it apart, but I don't want to do that without a little knowledge first.

Anyone have any links about tuning these carbs? 

How about links to parts and rebuild kits?

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
Re: Tuning the Mikuni Carbs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:00:22 am »
Tom, I went through all of my links and found this on legendsforce.com:
"The carburetors are Mikuni BS36 x 4 constant vaccum.  Re-jetting is permitted.  The engines are mounted 90 degrees counter to the way Yamaha designed them to be cooled by air flow.  The #3 cyl. is a common problem area on these engines due to heat and the restricted air flow to the back cylinders.  Have the carbs tuned to keep #3 and #4 from running lean.  Venting fenders and hoods, while staying within rules, is recommended.  See the FACTORY Professional Tuning Components website for good information on performance carburation setup."

It's not an answer to your question, but it brought up another question for me - we got a vented hood as an extra with the T48, but I never see anyone using one, so we didn't.  Does the above suggest that we should?

Also found this, if  it's of any help:
http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/mikuni_tuning_info.htm

-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline T48

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:05:19 am »
AHA!  The tuning manual for the Mikuni Carbs is online here in .pdf format!

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/download/Mikuni_manuals/tune_mikuni_carbs.pdf
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 12:18:55 pm »
Great links!

The vent hood is not a bad idea.  A good oil cooler with a fan and top end oiling system seems to do pretty good for me.  The fan only helps when you are not moving fast enough for good airflow.

Something else.  I put a digital head temp guage on the other day and found that it really does help to not shut off the engine right away when you get back to the pits.  Get plenty of fans blowing on the engine and let it idle a bit.  The peak temp will drop quickly.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 04:00:10 pm »
Hell, I can't even find the idle adjusment knob the 600 Racing Manual says to use when adjusting the idle...anyone have a pic of where this puppy is?

Thanks,
Al
POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline gramps05

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:35:05 pm »
If you look under the carbs you will see the cam chain tensioner in the center of the engine, the idle adjuster is slightly to the right and slightly higher, it is a round knob which can be hard to turn, may have to use two hands. Careful you don't burn your hands if the motor is hot.

Offline gramps05

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 06:46:39 pm »
T48, the web site you gave is for a different model carb not the B36. try this site http://web.telia.com/~u14114695/Mikuni_BS36_carbs_function.htm

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:18:44 pm »
Great link gramps

Offline T48

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:18:16 am »
Yes, thanks!  I've changed my bookmark.  ;D

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 05:42:35 am »
If you look under the carbs you will see the cam chain tensioner in the center of the engine, the idle adjuster is slightly to the right and slightly higher, it is a round knob which can be hard to turn, may have to use two hands. Careful you don't burn your hands if the motor is hot.

Thanks for the info, I now know why I couldn't find it....there's no pilot screw knob on this car.>:( These carbs have been redone by the dealer who sold the car to my son, I'll be calling him this morning asking why there no pilot screw.
POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline gramps05

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 07:40:48 pm »
Here is another good site for carbs and tuning, you have to look around but there is a wealth of info there.   http://www.factorypro.com and look under Product Support.

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »
This may be to late.... but there is a small piece of metal that covers the pilot screw. You will need to drill these out without ruiningh the screw beneath it. It is on top of the carbs.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 12:42:40 pm »
A friend of mine recommended a jet kit from Ray Scott at Redline Pro Motorsports 706-367-1524.

I installed the kit per his instructions and it really woke that sucker up!  Especially on the second half of the straight.  He has a very unique needle design that is the trick.  That is the best money I've spent on a performance part yet.  Tell him Tom Cole sent you!

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 07:16:31 pm »
If your near Texas I recommend Ron Scrimma at Racing Engine Services. His kit rocks and is 150.00 good money spent .

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 07:49:42 pm »
Yes, know that the secret is out!
Redline has some of the best jets and needles you can buy. He hand grinds the needles himself.
I swear buy them, heck half the other people rebuilding these carbs are using his jets and needles as well.
They are 160 for the set and he will go through and rebuild them for another 150. Money well spent if you like to run up front.