Author Topic: Play in steering - how much is acceptable, if any?  (Read 11923 times)

fcassidy

Play in steering - how much is acceptable, if any?
« on: February 05, 2008, 02:41:03 am »
Hi,

I have just bought an older Legend and the first thing I need to do is take some play out of the steering.  Never having had one of these cars before, is there generally some 'play' from the steering wheel down as far as the steering rack? 

I'm finding it is loose where the steering wheel attaches to the shaft, then there is movement in the universal joints and finally there appears to be unwanted left/right movement in the rack itself.

Any other race car I've owned/driven never had any unwanted movement - I consider it a little dangerous.  Just want to find out if you guys tolerate a certain amount of play or unwanted movement between the steering wheel and the front wheels - is it just part of what comes with these cars?

A ny info would be great.

Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Play in steering - how much is acceptable, if any?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:54:10 am »
Frank,
 Sounds like a new steering wheel disconnect is in order.
Possible steering rack rebuild also.
Check the steering joints first, and replace a necessary.
 As I have not yet got my steering system completed, I can't say what is "normal".
I agree with you on unwanted movement. Tighten it up as best you can,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:03:58 am »
If I remember right, I think INEX sells a rebuild kit for the rack. 

I would go ahead and replace the steering shaft.  This will also present an opportunity to put your steering wheel in the perfect position. 

Is the seat comfortable when you sit in it?  It should be comfortable enough to where you nearly fall asleep sitting there.  You're entire upper leg, down to your knee should be supported in some way by the seat. 
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:08:37 am »
If you have the hex type steering release, going to a splined release will take out some of the play in that part of the system.   

fcassidy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:50 pm »
This is all good info - especially if there is a rebuild kit available for the rack.   I think I'll simply replace anything which looks or feels suspect, I absolutely hate having anything on a car which feels loose.

Thanks guys - the help is much appreciated.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 03:22:31 pm »
You want to get rid of as much play as possible.
The rack body has a bronze sleeve in it that can be easily replaced and you can buy just the sleeve.  I got mine from Mike Patrick at Little Race Cars in Virginia.
Be sure to replace any heim joints and ball joints that have any play in them too.  Every little bit of slop can add up to slower lap times.

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 05:09:38 pm »
as this will be my 4th season in  legend car. there will always be a little play in your legend steering.
I have not drove one yet without a little play. some more then others.

The old upper 1/3 steering  used a bolt in area that is now welded. I noticed a huge difference in these.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 07:48:42 pm »
I agree I have not driven a Legends that did not have a little play, the splined steering head helps a ton and adding grease to the rack also helps, the new rack has an adjuster on top the helps tighten up the steering, the older on need the bushing replced if it had to much slop, keep them lubed up and this will not happen so fast.

Mike.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 10:19:31 am »
How do I grease the stearing rack?  Do I need to open it up, or is there a fitting somewhere?

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:59:28 pm »
JG,

On the older rack the the grease nipple is on the top of the rack, on the newer one it's on the lower front 4-5 good pumps will help out a little, it will also help it move more freely.

Mike.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:54:33 am »
Thanks.  I'll take a look tonight.

Offline blueskythinking

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:25 am »
going slightly off subject, i have recently renewed the standard bush on my steering rack and had one put in the larger daimeter end of the rack next to the pinion. Problem is now when i tighten up the plate with the grease nipple on the whole thing locks up. Is there a reason why there is not a bush fitted as standard to the pinion end of the rack? any help would be appreciated!!
The louder you scream the faster the ride.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 01:42:01 pm »
You cannot use a bushing in the pinion side of the rack body. That end must "float" thus the reason for the adjustable shims to control the tooth contact between the rack and pinion. You need to remove that bushing.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline tch38

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 10:46:36 pm »
Based on the posts I think my rack is in good shape. Thanks all
Unlike most sports racing takes two balls!!!

Offline blueskythinking

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 12:13:49 pm »
thanks for clearing that up racerrad!!
The louder you scream the faster the ride.

anything