Author Topic: Wrapping the header.  (Read 7477 times)

Offline Legends16

Wrapping the header.
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:34:42 pm »
Hey guys,

Back in my karting days we have always wrapped the header to protect ourselves from Getting burned. I've been reading  around and some recommend header wrap to keep temps down a little in the engine compartment. To me this seems like a good idea but I've yet to see a car with header wrap.

I've done a few searches on here but I haven't found some real good answers on the cons of using it. Any of you using it, have used it or known anyone that has? Why or why not?

Thanks,

Eric

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: Wrapping the header.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:28:02 am »
Not much of a fan of it, seems like it could be a fire hazard (oil saturates the wrap) and a fire is started.

Dan

Offline Legends16

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 07:13:55 am »
Not much of a fan of it, seems like it could be a fire hazard (oil saturates the wrap) and a fire is started.

Dan

Yeah, thats the only con I can think of. Thanks Dan, see you this weekend!

Anyone else?

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:03:47 am »
I can tell you first hand, it is like a saturated rag wrapped up and soaked in oil and it caused a lot of damage as it fueled the fire.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:40:34 am »
It also accelerates rust. Wash your car the day after the races, and it just holds water until you burn it dry.
The main point of header wrap is to keep underhood/intake temperatures cooler. Since we have a pretty open engine compartment, and the air intake for the engine is on the other side of the exhaust, I personally don't see a benefit
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline AKRACER

• speed
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »
i like using it on the car. cons wears out pipe (rust) , cost, and time invested. pros i like the thought of saving heat next to my motor but if it was a really good thing would every team do it...? i do it because i like it and some times at night i can shoot flames out the exhaust but. if you have the money and time it is nice to have but i would say that i believe in it. im sure that if you talk to any driver that they will tell you that they can spin the tires at any time so it a un-need perfromance adder but that goes without saying. Im a fan but dont think that i personally have seen anyone else that has it.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:59:16 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.  I think I'll stay away from it.

anything