Author Topic: Digital Gear Indicator (DGI) Kit...... Round 2!  (Read 20505 times)

Offline WIGGLES84

Digital Gear Indicator (DGI) Kit...... Round 2!
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:57:34 am »
As before, this is where I am keeping the list of members that would like one of my kits\parts

Full kit list
Names in Green are from the last list.

1.  Vern Houseman
2.  NCSU_racer ~ confirmed interest
3.  AKRACER
4. RacerRon ~ confirmed  interest
5. rickmiller48

vince6b
dirtracer68
canabl

Sending unit only

1.rickmiller48
2.svtmatt ~ confirmed interest

chris mckinney

Gauge only

1. s10custom ~ confirmed interest

Shipped

1.  vern houseman      <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> shipped 2 pre-production kits (in talks for a third kit)
2. Guy from Washington @nationals ( Dennis I think  ???) <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit

3. Legends16                 <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit
4. N4Racing                   <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit (W\ 7th hole pluged)
5. VMS Motorsports  <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit
6. Shane Chippindale <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit (sent to the land down under)

Install Info

• Here is a link to a PDF of 600's install instructions. I will eventually get around to making my own version with pictures, but since I do not have a car it might be awhile!
  • Steps 1-4 do not apply as my gauge is a different size

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_z-RbT1F5xWX2F2Q3lNaURCcVE/edit?usp=sharing

• Here is the version I will now be shipping with the kits, it has steps 1 & 2 struck out

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_z-RbT1F5xWODRyd2NXT0NYNW8/edit?usp=sharing

• For the gauge you will need to make a 1 5/16" hole

Link to first round thread

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=2945.0

Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline WIGGLES84

Re: Digital Gear Indicator Kit...... Round 2!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:58:03 am »
Got a chance to start machining on the round 2 sending units. Starting with 12 this time.

So my plan it to get these  12 sending units completed and sell them as a replacement to the plastic one from that other company.  Then depending on demand I'll start making some of the gauges to sell as a full kit.

As before, you can post here or PM me to get your name on the list. No moneys down required to get on the list.

Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:36 pm »
Well..... looks I forgot to list my projected prices  ::)

Just the sending unit should be $125.00 shipped in the lower 48

The whole kit should be $200.00 shipped in the lower 48

Prices may change depending on how things go during "production".

Andrew

Offline racerron

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:03:53 pm »
In my advanced age, I cannot seem to get a PM to go thru. I would like a complete kit.    racerron@fairpoint.net       Thanks

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:10:16 am »
Is just the gauge available? Is it compatible the "other" sending unit? What's the cost?

Thanks,
Robert

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:39:55 am »
In my advanced age, I cannot seem to get a PM to go thru. I would like a complete kit.    racerron@fairpoint.net       Thanks

Got the PM and added you to the list.

Is just the gauge available? Is it compatible the "other" sending unit? What's the cost?

Thanks,
Robert

Once I start making them, sure  ;D It should work with the "other" brands sending unit, Given they don't change the pin order in the connector. I remember someone had that issue, but can't remember who?  I would also need to make an extension to go between my gauge and their sending unit. My gauge is smaller so it won't fit in the same hole in the dash.

As far as price... I never really gave it much thought. But the kit is $200, sending unit is $125, so $75 sounds good to me  ;D

Andrew

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:45:51 pm »
I had an issue with a different pin configuration, I believe someone else did that. Not sure what the length of your cable is but surely it be close and the I have is more then enough. As for the hole size, that can be made to work or cut another hole.. I'd like to have one when you get one.

Robert

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:41:45 am »
I had an issue with a different pin configuration, I believe someone else did that. Not sure what the length of your cable is but surely it be close and the I have is more then enough. As for the hole size, that can be made to work or cut another hole.. I'd like to have one when you get one.

Robert

The lead length of my gauge is only about 7" long.  I think the "other" brand has about 24" of length.

The prototype sending unit I made for my dad has the same length lead as the original unit and it just made it through firewall.

Andrew

Offline WIGGLES84

Update & Round 2 Preview of the sending unit
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 09:07:35 am »
I've been working ways to decrease the time on making these so I can keep the prices where I've projected them. At this point it looks like I'll be able to keep the prices the same.

I've also been collecting the different materials to assemble everything. I put together a sending unit to show some of the changes I've made.

Side by side comparison of run 1 & 2 sending unit

Run 2 Wire side of sending unit

Run 1 Wire side of sending unit

Connector, found a supplier to get red, black or blue connectors. ( I know I'm probably going overboard on the color scheme, But I like the look  ::) )

I haven't had a chance to do any work on the gauges yet, but there maybe a few changes coming to those as well.

Andrew

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 04:01:06 am »
Well I finally got the 2nd round of kits completed. The gauges did not turn out 100%. the epoxy I use to seal the digital readout into the housing seeped down the side of the pocket to the outer edge of the readout. In no way does this affect the gauge from working, it's just not as nice looking as I was shooting for.

Prices are the same as before:
  • full kit $200 shipped in the lower 48
  • sending unit $125 shipped in the lower 48
  • Gauge $75 shipped in the lower 48

I have 9 full kits ready, 5 of them are potentially spoken for,  one sending unit and one gauge as well to two different members here.

So that leaves 3 kits up for grab. It will be a first come first serve basis based on when I receive interest in them. it can be either a PM or a post in this thread. the time stamp will be the final call.

Thanks
Andrew 

Offline Legends16

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:10:44 pm »
Good kit here guys! I bought one over the winter, installed it and ran it for the first time Sunday. It worked great and looks great!

Eric Williams

Offline racerron

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:21:06 pm »
looking forward to a complete kit. please let us know about the best way for payment. Paypal, check etc. Thanks Ron B.

Offline WIGGLES84

Re: Digital Gear Indicator (DGI) Kit...... Round 2!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:59 pm »
OK........

I think i got to ever one that pm'd me! Seemed like 10's of messages  ;D

Andrew

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 03:51:11 am »
Well........ It's been over a month since I've heard anything from anyone  ???

Is this project dead in the water?

I'm not the quickest at getting these ready for sale and I'm mad that interest has died down for the moment. I know that most of you guys are hobbyist racers and the budget is tight.

I'm just looking at where I should be focusing my "free time" as it comes available.

Andrew 

Offline racerron

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 12:19:17 am »
Andrew, I have installed my kit and it is great. I highly recommend buying this unit. In the past, I have always had a leak at the engine unit. His unit is a great fit with no leaks. We should support anyone that makes a better product at a reasonable price. Thanks for your efforts and workmanship. Ron B.

anything