Author Topic: Running fuel line through frame  (Read 11106 times)

Offline Legendracer24

Running fuel line through frame
« on: January 29, 2008, 05:28:31 pm »
how do you do it, does it just slide right through>>? i found out the hard way-very hard way- that i need a new fuel line today....i went to go start it, turned the fuel pump on, and all gas shot out everywhere on both ends of the frame rail that houses the fuel line....bad stuff, got all over garage and body and frame  :'( oh well...simple things in life kill me! ::)

the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline gramps05

Re: Running fuel line through frame
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:42:10 pm »
Yes, it slides right through, we change ours every year to be safe. you didn't happen to do any sheet metal work on the tunnel and drill a hole in the fuel line!

Offline bback58

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:47:58 pm »
I know I learned the hard way that you can't drill out the rivets on the tunnel.   ;D ;D ;D  I felt kind of foolish, but my dealer said most everyone does it at one time or another.  OOPS!!
Brian B

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:39:57 pm »
yea thats exactly what i did went to go drill out rivits not even thinking about that! oh well, time for a new fuel line anyway....lol
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35:36 pm »
OK.  That was close!  Darned near made the same mistake... Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, the fuel line goes through the frame.  Yeah, I did notice that....  No, I didn't remember it when I went looking at the tunnel...  So close!

Mike  ;D
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:40:47 pm »
Won't the rivets rub holes into the rubber fuel line?  I was pretty paranoid with my modified about anything even rubbing braded fuel lines.  Not a big fan of fire.  If I wanted to go to braded lines on the legends car, how to I handle hooking up to the push on fitting on the carb?  Do I just go from the braded to a few inches of rubber hose at the carb?   

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:55:56 am »
Won't the rivets rub holes into the rubber fuel line?  I was pretty paranoid with my modified about anything even rubbing braded fuel lines.  Not a big fan of fire.  If I wanted to go to braded lines on the legends car, how to I handle hooking up to the push on fitting on the carb?  Do I just go from the braded to a few inches of rubber hose at the carb?   

Thats what I did. I picked up a -6 hose barb and put it on the braided line with a short piece (short as possible) rubber running to the carbs.

Geoff

Offline gramps05

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 06:02:18 pm »
Have never had a problem with the rivets rubbing through, just use the shortest ones that will do the job. And as I said we install a new line yearly, also change all oil lines at the same time. 30 some races plus practices a year, for 3 years, never had a DNF.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:53:21 pm »
I did the same thing dont feel bad.

Mike.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 11:03:23 am »
Would a short piece of rubber line be needed on each side of the fuel pump also, or is there a way to modify the pump to use an AN fitting?  With all of the rubber lines and extra fittings, I am almost thinking that you would loose alot of the benefit of braided lines.   

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 05:36:59 pm »
Yes, you must use a short piece of rubber on either side of the pump. I will take 12 to 14 inches of rubber line over 10 feet any day.

Geoff

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 06:13:58 pm »
i just ordered 5 / 16 braided (dash 5) ss line which is hard to find. You can use dash 6 but will be large at the carbs....You also can cut the outer braided part and shrink rap  or tape the ends.  These will let you use a hose clamp.  Remember the fuel pump is only 3 to 4 psi It will not take 150 psi AN fittings to get the job done....

Dave
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:30:13 am »
I found something in a catalog I was looking at yesterday (can't remember who it was) but there was a warning about not using braided steel lines with push-on connectors.  Not sure if cutting the braid back takes care of it, or if it is an issue with the type of rubber in the hose.  I looked around yesterday and Summit Racing has some pretty inexpensive 6AN to push-on hose adapters for $2.66 (p/n: SUM-220756).  That screwed into the normal braded hose end should be pretty secure without running too many fittings together.  Other companies probably have the same type of product, but thought I would pass this along.     

anything