Author Topic: Road Course?  (Read 7266 times)

Kyle. Daughtery

Road Course?
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:29:10 am »
My uncle and I are wanting to do some road course racing this year with NASA. I've seen a few videos on you tube and such but it's so hard to tell if when they shift down do they use the clutch?  So do they use the cluch when down shifting because i know you just bump it down to shift up right, no cluch there? Also I know there i something called a clutch basket for road racing but what does it do, how does it help, and why or do I need it?

Anyone race NASA, Koil Tour, or the Speedrome?

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
Re: Road Course?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:47:27 am »
Oh yea, you have to use the clutch.  If you car was only 500lbs, then you could do with out.  But, its still a bike's clutch pack.   Beware the RPM's when you down shift!  Near redline when approaching a turn means way over redline when you down shift.
Besides, Its a quick shift.  Flick of the wrist and a tap of the toe.  Practice your heal-toe throttle brake use.
There are better clutch packs and clutch cages out there for our transmissions, that will help get rid of that pesky clutch slippage, but nothing made just for road course use.
Again, its a motor bike transmission. Anything you can do to upgrade within INEX specs, go for it.

See ya on the track!

Pegalis
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Kyle. Daughtery

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:28:50 am »
Thanks yea I'll have to look into upgrades for the clutch and hopefully they'll be legal for the oval stuff but you don't use any shifting there so...hope I can find something so I'm not going through pressure plates and stuff in the clutch.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:58:35 am »
There is a billet clutch basket available but it is only legal for road course use. Hank Scott has them www.hankscottracing.com.

Geoff

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:50:51 pm »
roadcoure is really really hard on engines and the rear ends, also remember that the rev limiter does not work on downshifts over rev and wham broken intake cam. Also if you don't have a double sheared rear end your just a ticking time bomb for something to break in the rear end, last week we had a team driver break  the rear bracket on the top link and another driver break   2 bolts on the trailing arms and she tore the back half of the car off,  two other driver sbroke intake cams....be warned.

Good Luck,

Mike.

Kyle. Daughtery

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:36:34 am »
How do I know if I have a double shear rear end? Thanks

Offline LunaticMark

• You're not drivin hard enough if you don't spin it
    • Cnc Graphic design
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:49 am »
Kyle, check out this topic... it will explain what you need to know.

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=302.0
Yes, I am a lunatic... but it's really fun!!!

CnC Graphic Design
 Vinyl Stickers, signs, decals, graphics, numbers
CnCgraphicdesign website
(702)685-7031