Author Topic: Fiberglass Repair  (Read 16726 times)

Offline JGRacing

Fiberglass Repair
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:54:12 am »
I'm patching up some battle damage on my new car and wanted some advice on repairing fiberglass.  I saw a few hints in previous posts, but am pretty new to fiberglass work.   

-Am I better using fiberglass cloth (fabric looking stuff) or the more loosely woven fiberglass cloth?

-With small cracks, should I use epoxy instead of fiberglass resin?

-In areas where the gel coat is cracked, but it just on the surface, should I put a fiberglass patch on the back side of it for reinforcment, or just bondo it and move on?   

Any other hints anyone has would be a big help. 

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
Re: Fiberglass Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »
I'll tell you how I approached each of these, you can decide from there...

Q; Am I better using fiberglass cloth (fabric looking stuff) or the more loosely woven fiberglass cloth?
A; I used fiberglass matt as opposed to weave, on the back of the panels.  I bought some weave, but have never bothered using it yet.

Q; With small cracks, should I use epoxy instead of fiberglass resin?
A; Although some may disagree, I figured that if a crack formed, it will keep forming if I don't repair the substrate.  I usually find these around the edges of the fender and the edges of the window openings.  I ground off a little fiberglass from behind the crack giving an overlap of about 1" to either side of the crack, then painted the underside with resin and layered on fiberglass matt that was well soaked building it back up to original thickness.  I always tamp the matt down with a stiff brush soaked in resin to lessen the chances of voids.

Q; In areas where the gel coat is cracked, but it just on the surface, should I put a fiberglass patch on the back side of it for reinforcment, or just bondo it and move on?
A; I tried just using bondo and found that the crack kept showing up.  Then again, I tended to sand it down to an extremely thin layer of bondo.  After that I used my die grinder with a sanding disc to clean out the cracked area, then used bondo.  Much better.  Here's the question though.  Why did the glazing crack?  In some cases, I think it  was from too much outside pressure from people working on the car, or pushing the car and flexing the fiberglass.  In those locations I added a little fiberglass matt backing.  I didn't find any voids under the cracked glazing, so I have to assume that's why it cracked.

On really coarse areas of surface damage, back with fiberglass matt (a few layers overlapping wider and wider), and use long strand fiberglass body filler on the outside surface, finishing with bondo.  I've never had to use spot and glaze putty yet for these repairs.

Don't be afraid of using up the sand paper when finishing.  Buy a large selection of grades of paper and go through them from coarsest to finest.  (Anything finer than 320 is pretty much wasted since the primer and paint seem to fill that in easily)  The first time I used 80 grit for roughing out the shape I thought I'd have a heck of a time getting the  trenches out of the surface...  I was pleasantly surprised at how easily these were removed with each finer grade.  Next time I'm at the store I'm going to look for grits coarser that 80 for the roughing out phase.

Good luck,
Mike

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline tch38

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:21:17 pm »
Ok all I have repaired my 1st body with fiber glass and bondo but I am not sure bondo is the best repair. Would it be better for gelcoat repair instead of bondo??? I am getting ready to repair my 2nd body not real sure how the 1st one turned out I never got it on the car. I am making a switch from a 37 chevy SD after getting a well used 34 Ford SD body before I got the 1st one done and on the car. Thanks Todd
Unlike most sports racing takes two balls!!!

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:22 pm »
Hmmmmm...  I haven't bothered with worrying about the gel coat on the fiberglass repairs.  I usually start most crack and rip repairs by holding the rip or crack together tightly then applying duct tape to the outside.  Then I grind away material from the inside.  Paint on the resin, and layer on the cloth.  If the area is likely to get stressed a lot, throw on a layer of woven cloth.  Build it back up to original thickness.  Once set, peel off the tape and lightly grind out or file out the surface of the rip, then mix up the bondo and spread it fairly smooth.  Once cured, sand down to the rest of the panel.  The big thing to remember with the bondo is to use the amount of hardener recommended and mix very well.  You can get away with a little more hardener to help set it up sooner, but too much and you can have a problem with spreading it in time....

I haven't had any problems with the repair blending in as yet, and it has held up to the test of time and racing.

Mike

Offline tch38

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:48:27 pm »
I did repairs that were missing the whole area with glass and resin then bondo over that. I was told bondo was not really for fiber glass repair and I should do gelcoat repair

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:52:57 pm »
Todd,

As you are going to paint over the repaired panel, I don't think you will have a problem. I believe Bondo makes a fiberglass body filler.
Anyway, Here is a link for a how to with gel coat.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline tch38

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:57:23 pm »
Yes I will be painting it. The guy I was talking with was a body man years ago was not a fan of bondo on fiberglass flex and cracks ect. I know many use bondo on these bodies. Thanks for the link I read that a few days ago while looking for info.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:47 pm »
I believe Bondo makes a fiberglass body filler.

Offline tch38

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:15:39 am »
bondo's web site not very good with the details

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:17:52 am »
You can go to your local boat shop and pick up some fiberglass paste.  ;)

Offline tch38

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:26:42 am »
What is that? Would west marine have that?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 12:41:27 am »
The fiberglass paste has some gel coat mixed in with it. You can pick up a kit for probably around $20.
I would think that West Marine would have it.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 09:04:43 am »
Any National chain parts store carried long or short strand fiberglass filler, along with cloth, just make sure you wear latex gloves...not the easiest to get off. Also, if repairing a break or tear, drill a hole at the end of the fracture, that will keep it from continuing to get longer
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 09:34:07 am »
We did our repairs just like MegaMang said and it worked well.  We use some kind of fiberglass body filler not real Bondo and it worked good, no cracks and no chipping.  Dont use resin as it will be really hard to shape and sand.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 12:49:14 pm »
Yeah, the long strand bondo is really a fiberglas resin mixed with long strands of fiberglass.  This stuff has been out for about 10 or 15 years.  It's not the thin paste that you usually use on steel repairs.  But the truth is that you're likely to get more scars on your car long before you have to worry about the cracking of bondo on fiberglass.  The only places I have cracking are where no patching has happened.

Like Jeff said, if you were to make up your own resin based filler, it would be a bear to sand to shape.  The long strand is pretty quick to shape up.  If you're really lucky you wont even need to overcoat it again with something smoother.

If you were making a street rod, I'd look for a better solution, but for a race car, this is quick to use and shape.  You can fix a cracked panel and be back on the track in the same week.

Mike

anything