Author Topic: Tires  (Read 13104 times)

Offline Legendsracer1

Tires
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:24:33 pm »
Heading in to my second year of Legends racing running on the ¼ mile at Charlotte among others and I’m still trying to learn as much as I can about the Federal tire. As such can, or should I say is anyone willing to tell me:

1)   What is the minimum working temperature needed to get good grip out of these tires? (coming off the track and checking temps right at the track exit I’m getting reading in the mid 90’s. Taking 3 point across the tires there is often no more than 5 to 10 degree difference and the overall range on 4 corners is about 20 degrees.

2)   I have found several very good pictures of what these tires are not supposed  to look like (tears and chunking etc) but nothing to show me what I should be seeing if I have the set up right and getting the best I can out of the tires.

3)   Durometer readings: I know what the minim must but how hard can these tires get and still be worth running? (I have read a 70 is about it?)

I realize that there are infinite variables which all affect the performance of my tire, but just like the base line for a chassis I’m trying to get something to build off.  

I should probably also tell you that the tires are cut.

Thank you.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:15:32 am »
Wow, did it quiet. This is a good subject for some of us new guys. Very go0od questions asked.

Robert

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:11:25 am »
I know nothing about asphalt racing, thus nothing about the Federal or its characteristics.

By the lack of responses, and lack of clarifying questions, I'm guessing that this question is getting too close to the super duper secret set-up stuff you have to pay for.

Like I said, just a guess.

My left rear American Racer is from the first set I bought. Has over 50 races on it and durometers at 49, but that's not going to help you

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »
I will tell you what I know but it not much. I never took a reading and mostly went by feel. Tires are directly affected by the track surface and how coarse or smooth the asphalt is. We ran on a OLD track with lots of "character" and it would eat tires up. I could get three nights out of the right side and maybe five out of the left. The fast guys "with money" would change at least every other night. I tried a couple of different cuts from different people and to tell you the truth I couldn't tell a bit of difference. Nor could my time. I do know that if you don't cut them enough they will chunk on you. You will also need to put a good heat cycle in them before you try and go hard or they will chunk also. When they look the most worn out is when the get there best also. As I said not a lot of help but I never went all scientific on it either.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 06:55:13 pm »
Check this. An article I posted a few years back:
http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/general/scrp_0712_tire_maintenance/

Also, Tire break-in is important. Read through some of the old tire threads. I just don't have the energy to post half a page of info on tire break-in.
Check out the old threads on tire temps as well. That should give you some needed info on you tire temps vs set up.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:57:04 pm »
this is good info. Scott, you don't think you posted much, but for me you said a lot. I am comparing my experience with yours and it tell me a lot. Like using several tire cutters and not really feeling a difference. That just reinforces my suspicions.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:39:03 am »
Well, I have had tire cutters tell me if I buy their tires it will give me .200 off a lap time. It didn't and I knew it wouldn't but I had to have tires anyway so why not see if I was buy a bunch of bull.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:26:42 am »
I had one tell that we did not need to breakin his tires because he cut them so thin.  If  we did they would be used up by race time.

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 09:51:32 am »
You need to keep your right side tires clean from burring or  rubber roll up, power tools are needed.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 06:08:51 pm »
I use a belt sander on mine after scrapping the old rubber off with a heat gun.

Offline StevenPartinOH

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 11:50:59 am »
Check this. An article I posted a few years back:
http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/general/scrp_0712_tire_maintenance/

Also, Tire break-in is important. Read through some of the old tire threads. I just don't have the energy to post half a page of info on tire break-in.
Check out the old threads on tire temps as well. That should give you some needed info on you tire temps vs set up.

Steve

We have raced for a few years at one track but the competition wasnt very stiff. I won a championship with very little effort. When it comes to getting the 1" front and 1 1/2" rear stagger, well, how do you? I understand measuring the tires and all that but how do you get the stagger if its a spec tire?

Great article and THANKS!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:32 pm »
There is always variation in tire sizes, even with the Federals.
Those with the ability to pick and choose the tires first will be able to get what they are looking for
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 04:31:01 pm »
You can also "Cut" stagger into their tire sets based on how you have them cut.
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline Legendsracer1

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:59 am »
Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond to my questions. It may have been naïve me to expect more of my fellow racers. I have read much of the information posted by others in the past and thank you for your generosity measured both in the time to write and the hints and tips provided. See you on the track!

Offline PRM Motorsport

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 09:49:15 am »
You want to your tires to read mid sixty or below with a durometer.  The lower the better.  Check them when you buy them, or you could get an old set of new tires.  Try to get tire temps to be within 10-15 degrees or less of each other across the tread.