Author Topic: Whats the main difference  (Read 8485 times)

Offline theshocker21

Whats the main difference
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:39:43 pm »
Hey guys Im new to this site after being pointed here for some questions. My main question no one around my area can explain is. What is the difference between a dwarf car and a legend "converted" to a dwarf? I know the obvious fiberglass body and motors, but can a legend car with aluminum body and say a gsxr 1000 be competive against dwarf cars on dirt? Are the suspensions that much different? After reading some topics on here about weights of your cars it looks like the legends weigh less. Any info will be greatly appreciated as im about a week away from buying a car. Thank you in advance

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Whats the main difference
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:06:43 am »
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the legendsracer family!

I saw your question posted over on DCR. As CHUCK pointed out, the suspensions are different. The legends cars have to meet the spec INEX rules; Therein lies the difference.
Legends cars are not as adjustable as the dwarf cars. Things like suspension mounting points, trailing arm and upper link are regulated by the INEX rule book. The front suspension is still pretty similar to what is being used on a lot of dwarf cars.

Can a legends car be converted and be competitive as a dwarf car; Yes.
Something that you may want to do is check the current INEX rulebook and compare it to the dwarf car rules that you will be using. Modifications can be made to fit your rules.
That should help you figure what modifications you will need to make to fit your sanctioning bodies rules. It will also help you to figure out your time and cost to make whatever modifications will be necessary.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline rusty61

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »
I have several legend cars converted to dwarf cars.
I run a Suzuki GSXR1000 (stock) on asphalt and they run about 1/2 second faster than my legend car on the same track.
I also run a converted legend car for 3/8 dirt but have a stock fj1200 for the power plant and can run with the water-cooled cars for most of the race but usually it starts fading due to the fact that the motor starts to lose power due to overheating . If the track is really wet, the water-cooled cars usually overpower the track so it gives a little bit of a edge with the fj1200. I am going to put a water-cooled motor for dirt this winter (can't beat horsepower and no overheating).
Also a Suzuki gsxr1000 will fit into a legend frame without any frame or tunnel modification , which makes it real easy. (you will need a low profile oil pan though).

Offline theshocker21

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:08:45 am »
Man guys I do appreciate the info. The part of the country I am in there really isnt much info on them so thank you so much for your input

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:27 am »
Here is a link to the current Legends Car Rule Book:
http://www.uslegendcars.com/documents/2013_rulebook_word.pdf
As I said, compare the rules to whatever sanctioning body you plan to run.

Steve

Offline theshocker21

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 02:36:39 pm »
The car Im about to buy has already been converted with the gsxr and body. and he did farely decent with it. I really like the car its in good shape especially for the price I was just curious what everyone elses thoughts were. You were a ton of help

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:20:17 pm »
I forgot to mention that Legends Cars run rear drum brakes and have a single master cylinder.
Dwarf Cars are allowed 4 wheel disc brakes and dual master cylinders.
Not sure how far the car you are looking at has been "converted".
Do you know if it was ever raced in current form? Pavement or dirt?
If it was used as a pavement car, and you are switching to dirt (or dirt to pavement); You will need to look at different spring rates and set up.

Steve

Offline theshocker21

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:51:20 pm »
Yes it has been currently ran on dirt and pretty sucessful. Hell most people around this area wouldn't even know it prob was a legend at one time since none of them can tell me what the difference was! I came out of non wing micros the last few years and really want to try the dwarf thing just having a hard time finding a car my tall lanky butt can fit in and this car I can actually do that

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 04:53:54 pm »
I assume that you will be running dirt tracks also?
If that is the case, then all should be good.

Steve