Author Topic: oil cooler hook up  (Read 11076 times)

Offline Schmitt20

oil cooler hook up
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:59:41 pm »
Just want to make sure I got the lines hooked up right. This car has the oil filter in the front right, right in front of the clutch cover. Has 3 ports. The one closest to the motor I have going to the front port on the pan. The middle port is going to the bottom left of the oil cooler. The front port is going to the back of the motor.(line runs under the carbs towards the fire wall and connects to the stock filter location) Then there's a line going from the top of the oil cooler on the left side to the back port of the oil pan. Just want to make sure all the lines are hooked up right before I start it up.

Offline Earnst85

Re: oil cooler hook up
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:32:47 pm »
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:28:04 pm »
That is similar but the motor adapter only has one fitting and the oil pan has 2

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:14:43 am »
I think you need to identify what the direction of 3 ports on the oil filter adapter. Most likely it is 2 "ins" & 1 "out". Take the filter off and look to see how the ports connect in relation to the filter. An "in" will put oil into the filter through the many holes on the outer ring. An "out" will have the port connected to the center stem of the filter.

If you filter adapter is 2 ins (sides) and an out (center) like I suspect,  then the way you have it plumbed now is kinda incorrect. Your oil would travel through the filter and cooler, but would return to the motor at the rear drain pan port, not the rear of the motor. The port (centered) on the back of the motor is the true oil inlet as this is the center stem location of the stock oil filter. Your current line from the back of the motor ("in" for motor) to the front port (suspected "in") wouldn't be doing anything.

If your filter adapter is 2 outs (side port & middle port) and an in (connected to front drain pan port), then your plumbing is correct. The oil would go from motor through the filter and one line back to the motor (back connection) which most oil will follow (least rsistantance) and the other line to the oil cooler and back into the motor (rear drain pan).

Once you identify the direction of ports on your filter adapter, I think you can eliminate a line and plumb them like this:

Oil comes out of the engine at the front oil pan connection (oil pump location). Keep your line from there to the oil filter adapter. Confirm it is connected to an "in" on the filter adapter.

The oil then will pass through the filter and exit out the center stem. Connect a line from an"out" of the filter adapter (confirm middle port is an out) and run it to the bottom of your oil cooler like you have.

The oil will pass through the oil cooler and exit the top. Connect the line at the top of the oil cooler to the back of the motor (not the rear oil pan connection). The port (centered) on the back of the motor is the true oil inlet as this is the center stem location of the stock oil filter.

This would complete a proper loop. Oil comes  out of the motor (front drain pan port), goes through the oil filter, goes through the oil cooler, and then back into the motor (back of motor).

You could then plug the 3rd port on the filter adapter and rear drain pan port.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:44:28 pm »
It sounds like he has the "Texas" style filter to me. You screw a filter on the adapter at the back of the motor and the two ports on the pan go to you cooler. A picture would really help if can get one.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:50:28 pm »
He only has one port on the rear  puck (not familiar with this style). It sounds like you have correctly connected what you have, if you verify the remote filter adapter is labeled with two "in" and one "out" or as mentioned pull the filter and look. Here is the way I see you having  it plumbed

1)Oil pressure out on the rear puck is plumbed to one  "in" ports on the remote filter.
2)Oil pressure out of(FRONT FITTING)  the pan is to the other " in"  port on the remote filter.
These are the two pressure in ports on the remote filter.

3)The center of the remote filter adapter goes to the cooler.
4)The cooler returns the rear port on the side of the oil pan.
This is your return.

I am not a fan of this, I am NOT an engine guy. I just don't like returning all the oil to the side port on the pan.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 04:59:31 pm »
After rereading I'm totally confused

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:38:34 pm »
I rewrote part of my post to clarify some parts.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »
After rereading I'm totally confused

In other words he has the diagram i linked before minus the "motor adapter out to filter adapter in" line...

http://www.hankscottracing.com/HSROilPlumbing.htm
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 09:17:59 am »
Sorta sorta not!!!! He does not have two fittings on the rear puck. He has a pressure out only and his return line goes to the blocked off pan fitting.

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 10:27:50 pm »
Correction my rear port on the oil pan is blocked off. The line that i thought went to the rear port actually goes to the port right above the pan on the side of the motor in the block.

knoxracing

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 10:29:32 am »
LOL, ok. As long as you have the remote filter plumbed correctly it will function. Without seeing yours, all of the older true three port mounts I have seen have the out fitting in the center and the two in ports angled on the sides.  as long as the out port is going to the cooler it should be ok. The filter mount should be engraved indentifying the in and out ports. The only one that is different would be the latest HSR and it is labeled.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 01:18:46 pm »
I had one that went into the side of the motor.... they had capped off one port on the rear puck....

joe

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 06:58:44 am »

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 05:05:22 pm »
I have been told that the "plug" above the pan on the side of the engine is a direct connection to the engine oil galley.  USLC sells and adaptor that allows you to hook and oil pressure gauge hose to that point.  Sounds like someone tried to feed the engine thru this rather than the in port of the remote oil filter puck that usually has two ports--in and out. In other words, he is using the out to the filter, along with the out from the second oil pump to the filter (like Hank Scott) then thru the cooler and then feeding the engine with hi-pressure, cooled oil thru the side galley port rather than the back "in" where the stock filter is usually located.

Someone with more knowledge of the oil galley configuration than I have would have to comment if this is a good idea.   I would prefer to use the remote puck for both in and out since that's the way Yamaha intended.

anything