Author Topic: Pad wear  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Legend79

Pad wear
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:13:46 am »
Hi, has anyone running the new brakes noticed of the pads wear a lot quicker than the old Toyota shape?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Pad wear
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:43:06 am »
Yes. There have been a few topics about that.
Just do a search for "Wilwood Brakes"
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:57:30 am »
It all depends on the pad and track configuration. The stock pad cost $40.00 (or less) and is a fairly soft pad that wears a little faster. We tried some more expensive pads and the were a lot better. It goes hand in hand with the old system, the $40.00 pads did not work nearly as well as the $170.00 pads. This all goes back to things discussed on this forum MULTIPLE times comparing the two systems. Long story short- With either system the more expensive race design pads work better. The one thing I will say is that the less expensive Wilwood pad do not fade, they just tend to wear quicker.

Offline Legend79

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:17:46 pm »
The more exspensive pads seem cheaper for the wilwood than they were for the Toyota brakes from what I've seen (brakeman ones for sale that was) not sure if all the other follow suit, there's only one guy here running these wilwoods as far as I know he says there's no performance difference but I'm sure he's got the standard pad, I was just wondering if the pads wore quicker as they were smaller? If not and the pads are cheaper for the wilwood calliper than the Toyota then it seems a good swap to me to the wilwoods

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:54:54 pm »
I ran the stock bp-10 pads in my wilwoods all season, and only had to change them before nationals. I had (i think) 18 races this year. I think the stock pad is GREAT on a big track, but on short tracks with a lot of braking, you will need a more aggressive pad.

On a side note, I wouldn't go back to the toyota brakes for any reason. The wilwood system performs great, is 15 lbs lighter, and is much easier to work on....
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Legend79

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:13:09 am »
Thanks legend 13, the biggest track here is 1/4 mile with some banking but nothing like you have in the states so be worth getting the more aggressive pad for here

anything