Author Topic: Fuel Cell Question  (Read 8718 times)

Offline JGRacing

Fuel Cell Question
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:27:34 am »
My car originally had the old style plastic fuel cell.  That was removed and I have the new plastic one ready to go.  The problem is that the curved bars that run on each side of the fuel cell are 1/2 inch too close together.  I tried to see if I could bend it out a little with a jack, but I could not get enough room opened up.  The only option at this point is the cut the bar loose on one side and move it, but not sure how much I can relocate it and still be legal.  I skimmed through the rules and did not see anything.  Has anyone else run into this problem? 

John 

Offline elimn8u_43

Re: Fuel Cell Question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:14:25 pm »
When I replaced the fuel cell in my car I also purchased the bar kit. I moved each bar out equally to fit the new cell.

Geoff

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:36:25 pm »
Is there any specific spot it needs to be?  I'd hate to be an inch off or something and get DQ'ed.   

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:45:15 pm »
I bought a used car and it had the tank drop and moved left in it. I went through tech and the never saw it. One of the other guys that I raced with saw it and said that it didn't look right. I ask Mike at CMG to look at it and he said it was wrong also. He moved it back to where it should be and he is the man to ask about that kind of stuff. I'm sure the rule book should tell you also (maybe). I was told that this is a common practice to move the tank down in NC area. I had mine moved back because I wanted it to be legal. You can reach Mike at 804-363-9636 or by going to his site. www.cmgmotorsports.com He is a great guy and will help you out.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:38:55 pm »
I can't find anything in the rules on this.  If people have to move the mounts for the newer fuel cells, I'm suprised that they don't have dimensions listed. 

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »
Page 49 of the 2007 INEX Rulebook, section 31:..."must remain in the stock location"...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 05:41:46 pm »
Trying to figure out what stock location is if I have to move one of the side bars out 1/2 inch.  Not sure if they verify that by the fuel cell being a certain distance from one side or the other. 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:30:47 am »
That is why I would call Mike. He knows this location and will help you out.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:18:06 pm »
Im wondering if you have a really old frame, we have never had to move bars to install a new tank but,  not saying that it cant happen, let me ask the owner of the sho and I'll get back to you.

Mikr.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »
When I go to weld in the new fuel cell bars, do I need to completely disconnect the ignition box or anything?  I'm on the opposite end of the car, but was not sure if any of the electronics were in any danger from the welder voltage.

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 08:06:42 pm »
Keep your ground clamp as close to the welding area as possible and disconnect the battery. You will be good to go.

Geoff

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 10:19:10 pm »
I would unplug your ignition box when every you weld on the car, just to be safe.  I would rather take a few seconds to unplug it then have to spend 250+ to buy a new one.  I have a red box which is just one plug..

Dave
Dave

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 12:22:42 am »
Geoff has the right of it.  Ground clamp close to the weld, directs the current flow where you want it.  Remove the battery leads.  Make sure you grind the area you attach the ground clamp.  For that matter make sure you have bare metal all around the weld area too.  Stop from including contaminants in your weld.

Have fun & good luck,

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

anything