LEGENDS > Lubrication

Burnt oil smell.

<< < (2/2)

Racingtrader.ca:
Thanks I did not realize standard automotive and motorbike synthetic were different. I will try some next season.

justfreaky:
From what I understand also, is that it is not a good thing to change back to the  standard dino oils after using synthetics.
Besides, the synthetics last longer between changes, on average.
I have been doing some experimenting with synthetic oils on my tow vehicle. I am now running 40 degrees cooler engine temps, and have gained almost 5 mpg.
Included in those numbers are differential, transmission and transfer case oils.

As mentioned in earlier posts, You do need to use oil that is compatible with the wet clutch system. Mobile, Valvoline, AmsOil and several others make synthetic oils that are compatable for bike engine/ transmissions (clutches). Look at some of the old threads on the "Great Oil Debate". That should give you an idea of what people are using and why whatever oil you use should have a JASO rating.

Should it smell burnt? No. Could be due to "cooking" the oil (High engine temps) or burnt up clutch disks. Both smell aweful! lol!

Steve

VMS Motorsports:

--- Quote from: Racingtrader.ca on October 20, 2013, 08:04:36 pm ---Thanks I did not realize standard automotive and motorbike synthetic were different. I will try some next season.

--- End quote ---
Automotive oils have additives like friction modifiers to minimize friction, thus extending drain intervals and reducing wear. Motorcycle engines like ours, the engine and transmission share the oil, you need friction for clutch operation.

albertjames:
Could be a piston issue, could be a gasket issue, I'd say get it seen to by an expert, it could be nothing or it could be a rebuild.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version