LEGENDS > Lubrication

Burnt oil smell.

(1/2) > >>

Racingtrader.ca:
I have always done regular oil changes but have never rebuilt a motor.  I was with a engine tech who dissembled my motor to change the starter chain and the smell was horrible it stunk the garage with a burnt oil smell. Is that common or should I change my oil (20/50 castrol non synthetic) or start doing a flush between changes. The oil that came out of it was 2 races old.

VMS Motorsports:
I would change to a synthetic oil

Racingtrader.ca:
I took a set of clutch disks out a few years ago was that because I had mixed the 2 syntactic and non? I have just stuck with non ever since.

VMS Motorsports:
Whenever you mix 2 unlike substances, the result will be the same as the lesser of the 2 substances, be it oil, brake fluid, whiskey, or whatever.
I tried standard motorcycle oil for a very short time, and, on dirt, where we run cooler temps, it was burnt at the end of every race.
That experiment lasted 4 races, and we went back to synthetic.

Legends57x:
What Jim is referring to is a motorcycle synthetic oil for a wet clutch application, not just a standard automotive synthetic oil.  I used a Mobil1 synthetic oil for motorcycle wet clucthes this entire past season and had no problems.

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version