Author Topic: Different than everyone else....  (Read 15974 times)

Offline Negulator

Different than everyone else....
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
Fairly new to Legends, but learning a lot!!! (especially because of this site)
Racing on 3/10 mile 10-12 degree banked asphalt oval.
Got a lot of fast guys at our track, and they all basically run the same set-up (at least that's what I can gather, no one actually would ever show there cards I'm sure).
I am a bit of an odd nut and would like to run something completely different. Sticking to a lot of the chassis (caster/camber/pinion/toe/etc) rules of thumb mentioned by people trying to help locally, and what I am reading here on this site.

Thinking about springing the car really light, we got a couple of really bad bumps coming out of the turns and I find causes huge chassis upsets with heavy springs?

For example 225 RF, 200 LF, 200 LR and 175 RR
In return thinking about raising the ride heights to compensate for this? Without me in the car LF 4" RF 4 1/4" LR 4 1/4" RR 4 1/2"
Putting it in tonight to see what scale #'s are going to show, and curious as to what you guys think?

I know I will get a lot of comments about the rear spring selection (opposite to what is recommended) but I am 6'-4 250lbs, and I really change scale #'s/ride heights in the car when I get in the cockpit. I am thinking the stronger LR will compensate for my Muscular (LOL) Physic?

Please correct me if you think I am completely wrong in my thoughts?
Or if you think I am completely NUTS, I am OK with that also....

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Different than everyone else....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:01 pm »
Scott,

Your spring rates are likely not much different than anyone elses. Those are an average spring rates for a lot of tracks.
On paved tracks, you want the car to be low as you can. Dirt tracks run a higher center of gravity than pavement because the tracks tend to be rougher. Look over your handeling books. Would be best if you can get some track time (test sessions, rent the track, whatever) and have some extra shocks and springs set up to play with. I think you need to scale the car with either you, or approximate weight, in the car to compensate for your weight. It will make a difference. Re-calculate your physics. You have about 100 lbs on me. Yes, you are adding your weight to (for the most part) leftside weight. Remember. you are turning left and transfering a lot of weight to the right rear.
Just some quick thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Negulator

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:32:24 pm »
Heading to the track tomorrow I will try to let you know how I make out.
Unless I break the track record then I will most likely be keeping it to myself! LOL!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 10:08:18 pm »
LOL!
OR....You could ask for help and wait to get some answers. (Most of us have to work)
You are not likely to get all the answers you seek in one reply.
You will get many different thoughts. It is up to you to sort through the info and figure what will work for you.
Lots of research to do on your part.

Steve

Offline Negulator

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:36:31 am »
Well track day was a success.....
Learned ALOT, and managed to get the soft set-up to work (somewhat, a lot of things to digest).
We ended up getting really good numbers on the scales, and felt really nice on the track. The really soft set-up provided a really nice exit, and was scary fast coming out. Getting into the turns however was an adventure, and I think in order to run this set-up I will have to change driving style a fair bit.

We were successful in gathering lots of information, and learning....going to try something different and try to rent the track again prior to the end of Oct. Really nice testing in the fall weather, really helps keep the little power plant cool!

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:01:55 am »
Do you run a brake bias valve? Where is it plumbed to?

Offline Negulator

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 11:12:34 am »
Piped to LF, and tried having it really cranked up and backed off.
Because the springs were so soft, found I was lifting the LF too much causing wheel lock.
With the soft set-up, I really need to back off early and roll through the center more. Best thing about this, I was able to HAMMER DOWN coming out of the turn with almost NO wiggle.
I could see how this would be a great advantage for some races, but in return you would have to be really careful getting in.

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 12:34:53 pm »
Feel free to call me.

Offline Negulator

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:09 am »
Have you guys heard anyone "Coil Binding" a Legend Car?

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:03:51 am »
I have seen some very creative methods of folks coil binding a Legend Car. There are components that are not on a Legend Car that make coil binding a lot different than a full size sway bar car. One of the biggest mistakes is setting a car up to turn fast practice laps without understanding what the car will do in traffic. Have you ever seen a guy that shows up and lays down some really fast practice and qualifying laps but never seems to finish very well?

Offline erich17

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 10:21:28 pm »
You will find its very hard to coil bind a legend because of the quality of shocks and spring options currently available.  I have tried it several times with very little luck on making it work "in traffic".  You will be able to lay down a super fast qualifying lap but it races like crap.  The bad part about that is the frontend setup will be very different so its not like you could just change shocks and springs for features.  You will also run into bottoming out the LF shock before you get the car "low enough" to matter but that depends if you are binding the LF or RF.............  I wish you mush success with binding and hope you own a spring rater or gale force "or something similar"  it will be your new wife during this battle :P

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 01:51:34 pm »
Coil bind?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 07:56:48 pm »
Robert,

They are talking about using very light springs and causing the springs to bottom out (or bind up). The coils compress on eachother. Not for the novice or faint of heart!
Makes the car very twitchy. Like these things aren't twitchy enough already! As was implied above; Could be useful in time trials, but not good in traffic.

Steve

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »
Thanks, kinda knew about compressing aspiring from building gokart motors. Can't imagine compressing a 10 inch spring that  much.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 12:43:49 am »
 Not sure I understand your reference to go kart engines. Some folks are using 8" springs. Still; Binding the coils up throws the car around a lot faster. Very loose! Not a good situation in a race and traffic. 8" springs make all this stuff happen even a lot faster than a 10" spring. When you bottom out the suspension (in whatever form), It is going to toss the car around alot quicker. This is more an advanced driver form of qualifying. Doesn't work so well in a feature race.

Steve

anything