Author Topic: SS vs standard exhaust  (Read 7085 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
SS vs standard exhaust
« on: September 15, 2013, 07:17:40 pm »
Is there a proven benefit, besides durability/longevity, of the stainless header pipes over the china steel pipes?
Any dyno tests? I've heard talk that the china pipes have better torque numbers at certain RPM, but want to see real numbers/first hand experience

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

Re: SS vs standard exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:13:21 pm »
 The last I had heard Hank talking about headers, he said there is a noticeable difference between headers on the dyno. He said the newer S&S were not as good as the older S&S that they don't produce any longer. His advice was to use the old Borola or old style S&S if you can find one. That was around 5 years ago though so you might want to give him a call for current header dyno numbers or advice

~Gimpster~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 11:25:31 pm »
My spare exhaust came with a car I bought back in 09, so it had the old style, but #2 & #3 were dented and replaced with new, so who knows. I don't need any more torque, just a hillbilly dirt racer. Figured since I'm changing engines this week and my china pipes are coming apart where they meet the seals, I'd put my spare exhaust on too. Heard talk from the asphalt world that the China pipes were showing better torque #s in certain ranges, was surprised at that, and was just curious if anyone else had.
Guess not...must be a super double commando secret  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:23:25 am »
My spare exhaust came with a car I bought back in 09, so it had the old style, but #2 & #3 were dented and replaced with new, so who knows. I don't need any more torque, just a hillbilly dirt racer. Figured since I'm changing engines this week and my china pipes are coming apart where they meet the seals, I'd put my spare exhaust on too. Heard talk from the asphalt world that the China pipes were showing better torque #s in certain ranges, was surprised at that, and was just curious if anyone else had.
Guess not...must be a super double commando secret  ;D

All the pipes have been built in china the last 4 years.  As you all can tell by how well the stainless muffler tab lasts.  The stainless header is an exact copy of the borla which has much shorter head pipes than the "china header", which is an exact copy of the mild steel header that S&S produced for 600 racing for about 15 years.  Neither of the two are phased correctly in the collector... And running one or the other creates a big need for a major difference in the carbs.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:12:07 am »
Grape, I'm interested in what you mean by they aren't phased correctly. Can you explain further?
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline amp racing

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:43:31 am »
i'm thinking they are not equal lengths before bending.. 1&4 and 2&3 should be opposite on the muffler..grape?

joe

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »
You want exhaust firing events in a circular patern into a 4-1 collector.  1-2-4-3