Author Topic: Different interpretation - Tread Depth Rule  (Read 16024 times)

Offline Toyotaracer

Different interpretation - Tread Depth Rule
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:39 pm »
I have noticed this year (2013) that there is a big difference from track to track INEX inspectors  regarding  the tread depth rule - inspectors have  almost turned their back to this rule. Why?  The rule seems very clear to me.

Tread Depth - When the top of the wear-bar indicator appears at two spots in a row on the tire (side-by-side or in the same groove - i.e. outside groove) or the tread depth is 2/32” or less on any two (2) points in the tread (measured from the bottom of the groove, not at the top of the wear-bar) (“tread” will be defined as 6” across the tire, to be measured from the center 3” both ways), that tire will be confiscated, destroyed or drilled by the technical inspector.

I have been around Legends racing since 2007  and I have never seen a tire confiscated, destroyed or drilled by the technical inspector. I realize this is a tough decision for an INEX inspector, but they are asked to enforce to the rules.

I am sincerely interested in  feedback regarding why this rule is so difficult to enforce .... or....how it can be more clear.

knoxracing

Re: Different interpretation - Tread Depth Rule
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:23:19 pm »
I could not agree more, they are allowing totally illegal tires to be run. I believe that because the Fed tires are being cut way down to start with, the  techs get tired of hearing about buying tires every three races.

I have begged USLC to hold tech seminars in various regions during the winter, educate and give techs the confidence and tools needed to do this properly, nothing has taken place so far. Most techs have no formal training from INEX to really know what, who, when and how to accept and deal with ongoing issues. I have a tech Lic. and I can tell you I have seen it all in different locations.
My 2 cents has been spent!

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:57 am »
 Couldn't agree more with ya Dennis. (on the tech training) BTW if someone put a nickle into you, you still have 3 cents left LOL

~Gimpster~

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:15:52 am »
I'm not a big fan of the depth rule..... Yeah some of the tires may be illegal per the rule, but they are fine to run, allow the racer to run the tire a LOT longer, and save the racer some money..... Isn't that a good thing?

I can understand frustration if you are not running them at way, and someone else is....there needs to be a level playing field.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:13:22 am »
our tech guys here had abandoned the tread depth rule, they say that is no longer a rule, just wear bars..they do somewhat in force the wear bar rule..
joe

Offline Toyotaracer

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:54:21 am »
Great input!

Just an idea - what about INEX  add a pictire of an illegal (worn out) tire on their web site  or within the Rules PDF file. That would be easy to refer to.

I would just like to add.... when rules are enforced on an equal basis more racers WILL show up because they feel the field of cars is more equal and they have the feeling their driving skill and chassis tuning plays a bigger role in how they finish. Racers will stay home if they feel the rules are not enforced  - hurting car count and audience attendance.

Please keep comments coming!

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:22:13 am »
Toyotaracer....Couldn't agree with you more regarding enforcement of rules.  Too bad some tracks just don't seem to figure that out.    :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline JLowe18

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »
I agree with Slack11. I usually pick up the tires from the big teams that have 3-4 races out of them and then run them for 5-6 more to keep costs down. If the tire is safe to run what is the big deal with the wear indicators?

I think they need to find a way to keep tire costs down as well. There is no need to have to buy new tires as much as some teams do.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 04:39:20 pm »
its all about making money on tire volume sales..

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:51:02 pm »
I am a dealer with customers of all means of finance. The entire problem is the tire being cut down to last 3 to 4 races max. The flip side would be to change tires and that would create other expensive problems involved in a race tire. In the beginning cutting was not allowed. Camber cutting is a nasty job but is quite lucrative if you develop a large customer base.(I do not cut tires). We have discussed this before and its a tough subject.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:17:59 am »
I would like to see a slick. It would have to be a very hard slick that would last and be a REAL racing tire. We finally got a tire for dirt so why not get a tire that doesn't chunk wear out in two or three races. This series really needs to get back it core of be INEXspensive. Just my thought.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline vince6b

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 08:23:00 am »
Why don't we just get a tire that's meant for racing and be done with it. These fed are junk and you shouldn't have to spend a day braking in tires.

http://www.americanraceronline.com/Asphalt-Track/mini-asphalt.html

Offline slack11

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 08:26:54 am »
Very true... if they switched tires to another treaded we would be back to cutting them down to nothing again.... 

I haven't been in this series that long, but I don't understand why they have always had a treaded tire for racing?  Why didn't they use a slick to start with for the asphalt?  Was it to have a tire that could work on asphalt and dirt?  Now, they don't need to do that with the introduction of the dirt only tire.

I agree.... Make em slicks, hard as a rock, and get the most life out of them as possible...

Offline amp racing

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 09:09:08 am »
600 approves all of the tires for racing in their series... the inex logo allows a racer to use these tires, thus having to be purchased threw 600.. ok now let the racers cut them to be faster.. the more rubber removed the cooler the tire runs and the faster the tire is..but now it will run about 3 to 4 races til the wear bar on the rt rear shows, selling more tires to be fast..most of the fast cars will use the tires in sets of at least 2 if not 4. just math..
joe

Offline Toyotaracer

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 12:18:53 pm »
A little feedback - INEX tested slicks on asphalt a couple of years ago - I think 2009.  A few of the results were interesting. 1. The slicks made the Legends cars dangerously fast. ( A treaded street tire slowed the cars down.) 2. The asphalt slicks wore  out just as fast or faster than the treaded, camber cut tire  tire. 3. The asphalt tire bite so hard that it over stressed the rear chassis points.

Comment regarding break- in cycling -  do a google searcg  - camber cut tires. Click on CamberCutters. This tire cutter cuts a tires that is ver fast after 3 short heat cycles  (6-8 laps each).  There is allot of tire information on this site.  This guy has taken tire cutting to a science and understands the Federal tire very well.

I enjoy reading your comments.

anything