Author Topic: Oil Systems / cooler  (Read 34626 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Re: Oil Systems / cooler
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 04:09:12 pm »
Can the oil pan be removed with the engine in the car to get access to whatever it is that needs shimmed?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 04:13:18 pm »
Should be able to.
Unless there is something that I am not aware of that prohibits that.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline fasass47

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 04:20:20 pm »
I didnt mix the two outlets or inlet together at all. I have the lower oil pressure or oil pan going in and out of its own cooler just like the motorcycle ran.... As soon as I remove stock oil filter cover and install remote oil filter adaptor, ( even for just testing, I ran just a loop out of remote adaptor , short holes, and rite back into remote oil filter adaptor ) and oil pressure dropped to 20 psi and thats not running to any cooler or filter at all.. Does anyone know why oil pressure would drop 60 lbs just by adding adaptor ????

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 04:21:18 pm »
Hope this breakdown helps.  If I understand the instructions from the previous posts, part 13 is what needs to be removed and shimmed.

http://www.littleracecars.com/legends_xj1200_oil_cleaner.shtml

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 04:27:15 pm »
Apparently; something to do with how the system works. I'm still learning, so don't have any definitive answers for you.
Size of lines...... Adding more line, or cooling area......   :-[ ::) ???

Sorry that I don't have an answer for you.

Steve

Offline fasass47

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 04:32:45 pm »
steve I thought you would know lol ANYONE PLEASE HELP, John

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 04:35:33 pm »
To the best of my understanding  ???
Shimming the spring (to make it stiffer), is the thing that is needed.
Is that where it is located ???  :-[ ...... I don't know. I still have a lot to learn about these bike engines.
The other part of MY delema, is that I don't have an INEX/ 600 Racing legal engine.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 04:40:04 pm »
John (fasass47),
 When I get back from work, I will try to find what info I can for you.
SORRY I have to run. Will be back in about 4 hours. I'll try to do what research I can.

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 04:56:14 pm »
I don’t know what to tell you, it should not matter if the filter is on or the adaptor. Psi is psi the oil pump should not know if the filter is there or not.  The size of the lines or the cooler will not cause the psi to drop that much. I would E-mail a builder like Hank Scott at Real race cars and ask him.  Hank will reply to a E-mail with what he thinks.  That would be the best way to find out what going on.  Hank is one of the big names in motors and will know more the anyone here..

.http://www.hankscottracing.com/
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:20:27 pm »
If the line isn't primed, could a bubble affect the PSI?  Just thinking out loud.   

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »
I spoke to 600 today and they said that the oil pressure gauge barely moves once the remote oil filter and coolers are installed.  When I look through this thread would oil pressure not "actually" be the same and by shimming this valve would you not be "tricking" the system in to reading the actual pressure again. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 09:24:31 pm »
JG,
 I doubt that it would..... but maybe if the bubble were to find it's way to a mechanical gauge??? Don't know. Don't think so though.

I DO think that Dave has the right idea......
Talk to an engine builder. I agree that it should not matter..... But apparently something is happening!  ???

RB,
 No. Shimming the the spring makes it stiffer. Not "tricking" the system. Just changes the dynamic of the spring that controls the pressure.

Steve

PS,

Sorry! Trying to catch up on emails and threads. I'll do some research, and see what I can give eveyone.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 09:30:42 pm »
So since the motor is in my car and I only get about 20 psi at idle when I first start the car I should do this.  I look tonight and I think the steering shaft has to drop to get the oil pan out.  Any other things you guys can think of to get the oil pan out?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 09:46:29 pm »
Jeremy,
 Wish I had a good answer for you.  :-[
I don't ; right at the moment! Shimming the spring on the oil pump has always been a favored upgrade. An "Old School" fix for oil pumps. Worked with the Street Stocks and the Mod.
I'll try to get an answer from my brother.  He is a motorcycle mechanic. We just aren't quite seeing eye to eye right now.

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 09:51:05 pm »
The steering shaft and you MAY need to take the lower control arm bolts out ( inside near pan) It may make this easy? I dont remember how close they are. But, I would call or E-mail a builder FIRST!! the psi should not do what you are stating and if the valve in your motor is not shimmed it should NOT have 20 psi on the high side of the system.  Where are you taking the psi reading from?
Dave

anything