Author Topic: Muffler breaking loose on dirt track  (Read 12457 times)

Offline Dirt75

Muffler breaking loose on dirt track
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:51:56 am »
Hey guys, new to the forum and need a fix for my muffler. I have lost two mufflers due to the bad mounting tabs. Other than taking the headers and muffler to a welder who can weld this stuff, does anyone have an option for keeping it on the car? I have rigged up a safety wire deal, and some high temp quick steel. So far it is holding, but wanted to see how you guys are doing it. Appreciate any help.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Muffler breaking loose on dirt track
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
I weld a nut to where each header tube goes into the muffler, and safety wire the sh!t out of it.
Haven't lost one in 2 years.

I believe there is something in the rule book that you can not weld the muffler on, but that may have changed
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Dirt75

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:46:39 am »
Thanks! I guess they don't want you welding the muffler on to sell more mufflers.  ;D  Had major sticker shock when I had to buy the first one.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:10 am »
This is far from just a dirt issue. I have had a couple break too, but fortunetly, the way my fender is mounted, the muffler gets caught between the nerf and fender. The best option is to do like the old style, and use a spring setup. (similar to a snowmobile exhaust for those up north...) Other than that, just reweld a new tab on, and safety wire so it cant fall off.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:01:33 am »
We now weld a second tab on the muffler and tube to match the stock one. We are bolted to two tubes, have not had an issue since. I believe the tab being too short and just a small weld combined with all the vibration just brakes the tab or weld.  I have seen guys run a teather cable to help support the muffler. It is a problem and you best fix is to fix yours before it breaks!

Offline amp racing

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:40:28 am »
I do not know if this is legal but it works for me...take a metal strap and secure it to the muffler  with two large hose clamps and one of the pipes with two hose clamps..
just like on a go kart header.. no one has ever said not to do it but it works ..

joe.

Offline Dirt75

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:03:52 pm »
I do not know if this is legal but it works for me...take a metal strap and secure it to the muffler  with two large hose clamps and one of the pipes with two hose clamps..
just like on a go kart header.. no one has ever said not to do it but it works ..

joe.

This is exactly what I did to my son's car last week and it held fine. Now just discovered my car has cracks in both tabs. Going to the same on it.
Thanks to everyone for the help!

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »
Guys, here is how you keep the muffler on the car. I still have the original muffler that came with my car from 1994...

Since the header contacts the frame rail and the frame horns are flexing it is moving/twisting the header.

So, the header tubes are twisting and the muffler isn't because it is mounted on all four tubes and the tab breaks off.

NEVER, NEVER tighten the two tabs together. I use a 1/4x1" bolt and then I use two nuts and lock them together, double nut, at the very end of the bolt.

The tabs can float as the header twists and the muffler tabs will not break off as easily.

I would also recommended, if possible since USLCI started having the muffler made overseas, to add another tab doubling up the thickness. They reduced the tab thickness from what the Borla header/muffler had.

The Borla has tab thickness of 1/8" and then they had S&S make some as well and they used a doubled up .080" making the tabs thickness .160". I do not have new muffler here right now but I think they are the .080" thick and that is not heavy enough material. I do beef up the weld of the tabs at the weld joint on the new parts as well as they do not have enough material there and the actual tube can break away too.

But, the loose mounting is the biggest thing that will prevent the breakage.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline canabl

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:24:52 pm »
in OZ on the dirt we had a lot of cars losing the muffler in the first season, we have made it that the muffler now has to have a chain held on with a hose clamp around the exhaust tip that runs up to the mounting point of the trailing arm. Even if it does break off the chain stops the muffler sliding back off the header tubes.

Offline ajagoditsh

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »
Mine just broke 2 weeks ago.  Gathering ideas on how to keep it on. Jim, show me how you have yours tomorrow please. 

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh

Gimpster

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »
I don't see anywhere in the rulebook that says they can't be welded on.  I have all my header tubes spot welded to the muffler,plus the bolted tab.  If any tubes need replacement, grind off the spot weld and replace. The rulebook states within that no ceramic coatings, header wrap is accepted, no gutting of the muffler but the tip can be turned towards the outside of the chassis. To do this, the tip need be cut and re-welded on or tabs be relocated to mount the muffler a 1/4 turn. Ether method would allow  welding...in my book this would not disallow welding the muffler to the tubes since it does not specify no exhaust welding modification allowed. I mean,come on.. this is dirt. Welding a muffler on is a safety factor for the other drivers. Who wants a muffler snack off another car while racing ?

~Gimpster~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »
I agree.
My only DNF this year was a muffler coming off a car and going through my oil pan.
It used to say no welding in the rule book, havent looked lately, they must have changed it
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 02:37:55 pm »
I don't see anywhere in the rulebook that says they can't be welded on.  I have all my header tubes spot welded to the muffler,plus the bolted tab.  If any tubes need replacement, grind off the spot weld and replace. The rulebook states within that no ceramic coatings, header wrap is accepted, no gutting of the muffler but the tip can be turned towards the outside of the chassis. To do this, the tip need be cut and re-welded on or tabs be relocated to mount the muffler a 1/4 turn. Ether method would allow  welding...in my book this would not disallow welding the muffler to the tubes since it does not specify no exhaust welding modification allowed. I mean,come on.. this is dirt. Welding a muffler on is a safety factor for the other drivers. Who wants a muffler snack off another car while racing ?

~Gimpster~

I am going to go with welding it to the header pipe is not legal. How is the tech inspector supposed to be able to inspect the muffler if it can't be removed unless you grind the welds off.

I am telling you, if you just keep the tabs loose and the muffler is allowed to float they will not break off the tab.

This one is bolted tightly together and you can see the tab is bent aligning it. Loosen it up and let it float.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Gimpster

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 02:50:00 pm »
Yes, I have seen spacers in that spot before. On dirt tracks around here things tend to rattle loose so it is a safety issue for sure. It will be interesting to see the 2014 rulebook changes. Rumor has it that the changes will be radical.
 Not a fun night for sure Jim when daylight appears in the oil pan. Here is a killer we have been faced with,huge rocks busting helmets and poking out wind screens. The wife found one inside of a friends car that was the size of a baseball. Imagine a muffler coming through the screen... any way advised above is all good for safety, no matter the method of choice.. lol, I know my choice for on dirt

~Gimpster~

Offline AKRACER

• speed
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:22 pm »
gimp What have you heard on new rule changes? for 2014?