Author Topic: race car diet  (Read 9174 times)

Offline amp racing

race car diet
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:50:37 am »
thinking about what I would have to do to trim the car weight.. right now we are at 1360.. 60 lbs to make right side correct..

rims new aero lites   
front brakes
spool
new body

any other clues?

if we add these items would it be cost effective?  would we go faster or just be lighter.

/
thanks joe

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: race car diet
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:55 pm »
My opinion...don't worry about weight. you have over $1500 listed in your post plus shipping.
Keep your money and work on set-up and driving.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »
Look, a lot of things depend on your level of seriousness and the size of your budget. Rotating weight is important, it is more important than overall weight. I am not sure why you need to be 1360 to get the right side weight. What is the weight of your car full of fuel no lead? A new coupe built with weight in mind WITH the new disc brakes will weigh as little as 1050 - 1060 full of fuel. This does allow lead to be placed on the bottom of the car and placed where needed. This is does NOT require illegal lightening of components and or body or body parts.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:19:13 pm »
dennis just asking if the newer parts will lower times..

we have:
sedan 4 bar
5 star body
2 year old chrome rims
welded rears not spooled
older front brakes [not wildwood]
with full tank and driver 1280 lbs.

not looking for anything illegal.. just like to know would these parts lower times, I see this equiptment on the higher priced cars.
joe

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:12:44 pm »
My new coupe weights 1170 or so with full fuel that is with 7 blocks of lead on the car.
Car weights 1340-50 with me in it at 645 or so right side weight.  This is to get the higher left side %.
You will for sure gain more with rotating weight.  take as much drag as you possible can out of the car.
We rebuilt are spooled 3.42 got a lot of drag out of it and noticed a big difference.  the rear spins much much more free.
Next i am going to maybe get the wilwood brakes and work on getting as much drag out of the front wheels as possible.
Need new bearings on the car all around for sure. i am still using last years due to the tight budget on buying the new chassis and motor from rpm proformance.
The lighter wheels, body and braks will help. I would for sure go with a spool.
Like dennis said the rotating weight and drag is most important.  You will notice more of a speed difference there.

-Richie

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:19:24 pm »
Pretty hard to take drag out of the car. Weight savings; get rid of unessesary items (gauges, extra wiring, whatever). Put the driver on a diet. LOL!
Buy the lightest weight parts you can and cut weight where you can. Will it save your driver time? Depends on your driver.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 10:04:42 pm »
see Ritchie we only have about 60 lbs or so to make the same weight..he adds weight to get the balance.....if I trim the car by 100 lbs then we can put the weight were we need it..budget is always a concern..some of these teams have more money for the fancy stuff, we are on the same track..

joe

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 10:28:41 pm »
getting drag out of the car is expensive and becomes border line to definetly illegal. I have  seen it all first hand. The brakes, gears and bearings are key.  For the average racer racing on a budget keep it in focus. Direct your budget year to year with weight in mind. Yes the wheels are weight saving, the new brakes are too. Between wheels and brakes you can deduct 40 plus pounds. Cut your rotors and drums to near minimum. Spooled gears are a plus, especially if you run one track. Keep the rear square, good bearing grease. These are key items to a free car with less rotating weight. Maintaining the car is so important, just keep it clean, clean everything and never power wash it. I could go on and on.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:05:50 pm »
Why no to power washing Dennis? Just curious.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »
The high pressure can break wires and get in places you don't want it. Also washes grease away from areas that you want to keep it.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything