Author Topic: Who is going to the Asphalt Nationals?  (Read 7336 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Who is going to the Asphalt Nationals?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:03:45 am »
Who is going to the Asphalt Nationals?
Where are you from, and what class?

Be nice to see how guys on the forum do

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline dirkhenry3

Re: Who is going to the Asphalt Nationals?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:18 am »
A few of us from MN are going
Dirk Henry
Dirk Henry Racing
320 761 3969

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:55 pm »
I'll be going, first time to nationals, i'll be in the semi pros and i'm from NH

Dan

Offline ThurlbyRacing

• Thurlby Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:06 pm »
I'm Planning to head there to race in the Semi-Pro. From Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Its my first year in Legends and we didn't plan to go to the nationals but seeing as how it's close to home, we can't pass up the opportunity.

You don't HAVE to have a national qualifier win to attend am I right? you are just not guaranteed a spot in the A-Main? just want to make sure...

Brandon.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:57:38 pm »
You are correct, don't need to have a qualifier win
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:09:26 am »
qualifier win doesn't even guarantee a starting spot anymore. It only adds another layer of possibility. Something like only the top 6 with a qualifier win that don't make the race through normal heats/qualifying get the provisional.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline svtmatt

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:32:50 pm »
Is anyone else kinda turned off of attending after seeing the event schedule and considering the costs on the USLC website?  The cost of attending and attempting to be competitive is pretty prohibitive considering the fact that the B/C mains have a 20 minute time limit.

You're going to need at least one set of new cut tires (min $500/set), 10 gallons of 93 from the track at $5.75 ($60), practice day entry for driver and one crew member ($70), pit stall (min $60), entry fee (min $75), 3 day pit passes  for two (min $160), plus hotel for 4 nights (4 X $80).

Thats' roughly $1250 and that's pretty much the bare minimum you'd have to spend to be there and race.  Being A main competitive probably adds a 1.5X or 2X factor to that cost.

So if one qualifies 25th in Pro, starts 5th in the B Main, and a wreck happens on lap 1 that takes 2o mintues to clean up, that person just spent roughly $1250 to show up, practice and run 9 competitive laps?

No thanks.

Am I the only one that looks at it this way?

MT
Matt Todd
Michgan Legends #8

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:21 am »
i dont really feel they are going to get to many more cars then what they run for the mains.
so if you go you have a good chance of racing, we had gone the last 4 years, the car counts droped each year.
rob

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:48 pm »
I think your numbers are off....

You MAY need a set of tires, but only if you are currently on tires that are worn out. Lake Erie is easy on tires. Most of us that race there weekly get a full season on 6 tires (1 set Left and 2 sets of rights)

There is no requirement to run Wednesday for practice. It is optional. There is also no requirement to rent a pit stall. Last I checked, pit location doesn't make a car faster, so if you don't care where you park, don't pay for a stall. The fuel is pretty reasonable, but I agree $5.75 for 93 octane (it is not road fuel though, so no-ethanol) is a tad high.

If you have a decent set of tires to start with, total cost should be about half of what you said.

This is no different than past years. After all, it is 3 days of practice/racing. That isn't cheap to support from a track/uslc perspective, and they do need to make a bit of profit or why do it?

If you really want to save money, bring a tent and camp it. The track has very nice facilities, and even have showers in the rest rooms. The weather will likely be cool, but not cold, so sleeping in a tent will likely be comfortable. Again, all about how you choose to spend your money. Hotels are nice, but they don't make you faster. There is a walmart not far from the track, so go and get some groceries, and save even more money.

Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

anything