Author Topic: Tires  (Read 25875 times)

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
Tires
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:59:23 pm »
I've seen a few posts about protecting the tires with different coatings.  Are there any coatings that will pass Inex rules?  Something I can do to help extend the life of the tires that is implicitly accepted by Inex?

Thanks,
Mike

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:23:32 pm »
Nope.  You are not allowed to do anything to the tires other than shave them.   The only thing you can put on them is water. :)
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:12:46 pm »
Right your not even allowed to wash them, I have tried tire softners they dont work and it's a complete waste of money, there is nothing better than a new cut tire...

Mike.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:06:43 am »
Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but I thought I'd ask around since I remember reading threads suggesting different treatments.  I'm inclined to agree that new tires are the best.  Besides, that way you can make sure the rubber is at maximum pliability.

Thanks guys.
Mike

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:21:35 pm »
I have seen guys on dirt soak their tire and get good results however I have not really heard of or seen results on asphalt, again I am not the end all for answers, I have tried track tac and odorless mineral spirits it was good for about 6 laps, new tires are the best way to go, if you get a medium cut thay can last 15 races.

Mike.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:26 pm »
That's pretty much what I'd determined I'd do.  Just thought I'd ask after reading some earlier  posts about tire treatments.  Mind you, 15 races out of medium cut tires on our track is really optimistic.  More like 10 races.  Our track hasn't been paved in something like 30+ years, so it's a real grind.

Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 03:06:54 am »
 I think the best thing you can do in the off season is to protect the tires the best you can.
Relieve tire pressure; wrap, bag, or cover them. Don't expose them to extreme temps (such as storing outside). Black trash bags work well for keeping out sunlight exposure.
 Just a few random thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:40:19 am »
The black 55 gallon trash bags and a dark corner of the basement worked great for the modified tires. 

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 11:49:05 pm »
I just wear 'em down in the fall so that I have to get new ones in the spring.  That way the rubber is freshest when I'm rusty.

Mike

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 09:23:46 am »
We have a few racers that soak their tires. It seems to work for them. I am not sure of the product that they use. I find that after 6 to 8 races the lap times will drop from a new set of tires. Times can be brought back by replacing right sides only. Our track is 20 years old and has not been repaved.

Geoff

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »
Unfortunately for the sport, tire prepping does greatly improve lap times.  When the right stuff is applied in the right way, it can last an entire race day.   

Fortunately in our area (Georgia), nobody really does it and gets away with it. 

Legends tires do drop off in times over a period of a few races IF the setup remains the same.  There are setup changes you can make to help the car run just as well on old tires. That is to a certain point.  After about 8 races at the most (4 if the tire is cut real low) it's time for a new set.
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

fcassidy

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 11:49:23 pm »
Where do you guys buy your tires? Are they only available from Legend dealers/600 racing?
Wbhere do you buy rims? Same?

Thanks.

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:14:30 am »
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:58:35 am »
70. TIRES: The tire must be a “Legends Edition” 205/60R13
BFGoodrich T/A Comp HR4. Tires may not be soaked,
softened, siped (razor cuts), grooved or recapped. The raised
white letters of the BFGoodrich Tires logo must face towards
the outside of the car and be visible at all times.

You might also check with your local tire dealer and see if they can get these tires for you at a reasonable cost.
While your checking that out, might be a good opportunity to ask about sponsorship.  ;)

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:14 am »
I checked with a local BF Goodrich dealer here and he said that any spec tire like we run that is stamped comes from the BF Goodrich race division and he cannot get them.  He said if he is caught selling those tires he could loose his deal with them.  He said it started a few years ago when the corvette clubs had a sepcial tire from BF goodrich and the dealers would sell it to anyone as a street tire so BF pulled all specialty tires back from the local dealers.

anything