Author Topic: Nomex underwear...  (Read 11153 times)

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
Nomex underwear...
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:53:09 pm »
There are all kinds of different choices for racing underwear.  Any of you using any?
If so, what brand/style?
How comfortable are they?
What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Mike

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Re: Nomex underwear...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
good question Mike.  I am looking to add some as well.  I just bought a new 2 layer suit today.  I think Jeff was the only guy at our track who wore it so anyone else's imput would be great.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:57:10 pm »
I didn't know Jeff was wearing any.  I'll have to give him a call and get his input.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 12:02:30 am »
I think it gave him an exuse to walk around in his underwear :-).  But again he was the only one I saw wearing it so who on the forum has worn it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 02:29:49 am »
 I'm thinking of going with Safety Racing underwear from Speedway Motors.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/209_Racing-Safety-Equipment-Nomex-Proban-Underwear.html
 Reasonable Price for Nomex.

I had some Simpson underwear that I got with a used suit. Didn't fit me very well, but felt pretty comfortable.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 10:05:23 am »
Used underwear....I dont care about the context, it just sounds bad!!!! :D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline legend85

• Craig Schmidt Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 10:56:04 am »
I've worn Nomex underwear and a double-layer suit since I started racing in 1996 (not the same set of underwear ;D )  When I started racing, I promised my wife that I would take advantage of every piece of safety equipment I could.  It's a little hot in the summer, but not nearly as hot as a fire is.

People that race with a single-layer suit should really consider using Nomex underwear.  You will literally double the time you have with the suit alone.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 12:33:32 pm »
Jim,
 That really doesn't sound right! I gotta watch what I post in the wee hours of the morning.  :o :o :o

Craig,
 I'm with you on the safety issue.

Steve

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 03:31:36 pm »
I did try to tell you that you should be in bed Steve  ;D

Craig, how well does the Nomex underwear outfit breath?  Do you find yourself sitting in a pool of sweat or does it wick away well?
Also, what do you have to do for cleaning?

Mike

Offline legend85

• Craig Schmidt Racing
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 04:01:41 pm »
I use a 2-piece suit, so I can remove the underwear top easily between races, which helps a bunch for us sedentary types.  The last set I bought in 2006 seemed to wick away sweat better than the older sets, and were a bit thinner.  I am not sure if that is due to some sort of technical advancement with the fabric or something else.

As far as cleaning, I use Woolite on the gentlest cycle and then hang them up to dry.  I try to limit how much I clean them, however, as repeated washings will hurt the flame-retardant capabilities.  Be sure to check your manufacturer's recommendations.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:06:44 pm »
I told my boss I wanted to race my Legends naked just once....he looked at me a just shook his head, his girlfrind smiled, I decided it was time to go home.

Mike.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 01:58:10 am »
Gees!!!
Used underwear doesn't sound so bad now!  ::)

Mike,
 Your definately twisted!
                    ;D

Steve

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:49:05 pm »
I use a 2-piece suit, so I can remove the underwear top easily between races, which helps a bunch for us sedentary types.  The last set I bought in 2006 seemed to wick away sweat better than the older sets, and were a bit thinner.  I am not sure if that is due to some sort of technical advancement with the fabric or something else.

As far as cleaning, I use Woolite on the gentlest cycle and then hang them up to dry.  I try to limit how much I clean them, however, as repeated washings will hurt the flame-retardant capabilities.  Be sure to check your manufacturer's recommendations.

Thanks for the tips.  I hope to be able to afford buying some for this season.  If not, next season for sure.  Many things yet to buy.

Mike

Offline racer48j

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 07:16:45 pm »
I have had good success with the Pyrotect "Innerwear" product.  It is very soft and excellent at wicking away the moisture and keeping you reasonably cool even on the hottest days.  I wear a single piece two-layer suit rated SFI3.2a/5 from Bell that is quite heavy so it was important to me to try and keep cool also.  If you were using a single layer suit I would recommend combining the "Innerwear" with the Nomex underwear to achieve as much protection as possible but still leave you as reasonably comfortable as possible.  Before finding the "Innerwear" product I tended to not always wear my fire protective underwear because the Nomex was too hot and scratchy.  You can usually pick up a set of top and bottoms for under $50 at their website. (www.pyrotect.com)

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 02:55:59 am »
Excellent!  That is indeed affordable.  I was hoping there would be a decent product out there that would help to protect while helping to wick perspiration away.

Thanks for the link.  I've added it to the main link post.

Mike