Author Topic: What is the best Restraint setup?  (Read 9391 times)

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
What is the best Restraint setup?
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:30:23 pm »
I'm going to have to replace my racing restraint harness this year.  What do you recommend and why?

Thanks,
Mike

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Re: What is the best Restraint setup?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:03:24 am »
I have a set of G-Force Latch belts now but I am looking at Cam Locks.  Thoughts?

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:10:55 am »
I sat in one guys car up in Peterborough after I smacked up my car.  He had cam locks,  but I can't remember the brand.  They were smooth to operate, easier to put on, and easier and quicker to get out of.  I'm sold on the idea, now which brand?

Mike

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:07:09 am »
Ive got the G-force cam locks. Very easy to get into and fast to get out of. I've also never had anything else, so I can't compare to a latch type.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 05:09:53 pm »
What is the best Restraint setup? Hmm.  Handcuffs, soft rope and.... Oh!?!  You mean in the car!
I have seen G-force cam locks in a few road course, top dollar cars.  Very smooth operation, quick twist and your out. 
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:02:57 pm »
I prefer the traditional latch system, we race at night alot and I found myself struggling to get the belt end into the cam, I'll keep what I have. Impact belts.

Mike

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 10:09:22 pm »
I just replace my belts and went with the latch style.  When I have my head and neck res. on I can not move my head down to look at the belts.  I looked in to a cam lock but I may have been fumbling around to get it latched.

Dave
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:49:26 am »
Dave,
thats what the pit groupies are for...latching our belts! ;)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 12:17:54 pm »
I like the latch and link 6 point belts.  It's simple, can't get clogged up by dirt, and all of the moving pieces are visible.  The cam lock ones can have issues with dirt racing if they are not kept clean.  I tried a Simpson polyester belt a few years ago and it was way too stiff.  I prefer the nylon belts and used a 6 point Impact belt in my modified.  The poly belt stretches less in an accident, but they a a pain to adjust and tighten with the stiffer material.  On brands, Simpson, Impact, G-Force, all make good products and I'm sure some of the other lower cost and high end ones would also work perfectly fine.  Make sure that they are mounted properly and replaced every 2 or 3 years, or after any hard crashes.     

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:35:37 pm »
I just replace my belts and went with the latch style.  When I have my head and neck res. on I can not move my head down to look at the belts.  I looked in to a cam lock but I may have been fumbling around to get it latched.

Dave

Well...  With a gut in the way, I'm always struggling to get the traditional latch together.  That and I find the buckle is so big, that it's digging in at all the wrong places.  The camlock I tried out seemed much more comfortable.

The other concern I had was that a couple times when I've undone the latch, I would find one of the shoulder links didn't just slide off.  If I get in an accident or fire and need out in a hurry, I don't anything stopping me.

Mike