Author Topic: Oil temp gauge  (Read 8837 times)

Offline 1934sedan

Oil temp gauge
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:03:18 am »
Hi guys , I have been having a issue with my oil temp gauge, it won't read the temp , does the sending unit need to be grounded to the frame?   I've replaced the sender and the gauge.

Thanks

Offline Legends57x

Re: Oil temp gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:13:32 am »
I've never seen an oil temp gauge yet that requires sending unit to be grounded to frame, unless directions for that partiucular gauge say otherwise.   The body of the sending unit itself is basically grounded to the pan when screwed into it.   What brand gauge are you referring to?  I assume gauge and sending unit were purchased as a complete package?
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline 1934sedan

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:29:56 am »
The gauge was not working, so I thought it was the sender wire ran another one and it did not work, so I picked up a new gauge and it still does not work and it is wired correctly.  So I fiqured to change the sending unit?

thanks

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:43:16 am »
This is one of the biggest reasons we run no gauges.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:14:30 am »
Sorry Dennis, but your insight does not help this fellow racer.  I've run both Longacre Acutech Sportman and Longacre new stepper motor oil temp gauges and NEVER had a problem.  An oil temp gauge can be a very useful tool if monitored and not just installed in a car for looks.  I've worked in an air cooled 5-40 HP engine test lab for 32 years and I can tell you that anytime oil temps get above 300 deg F using a base or non-synthetic oil,  it is not good and oil will get very dark in color and may smell burnt.  If you're running a full synthetic oil then oil temps up to around 325 deg F are OK yet.  Thus, you can see what your temp is after a race as a wat to determine next oil change. On dirt my oil temp with a 10W-40 synthetic oil has not gotten above 250 deg F for a 20 lap feature and thus I have been able to change oil only every 3-4 races.  I do understand that on pavement the oil temps get hotter as the engine works that much harder for that application. If oil temp is exceeding above listed values and turning dark or black,  it's time to change oil.  Sure, you can observe oil color in viewing window, but it sure is nice to see how hot it is getting at the track and gauge also can give you a point to shut off your cooling fans after a race.

Just my opinion!  Now back to helping out this fellow racer.

1934 sedan...Need more information.  What brand? Electric or mechanical sending unit?  I assume you have a good 12 vdc supply at gauge and supply wire to gauge is fused?

Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 06:02:17 pm »
Mark,
my short sentence was packed with more experience and knowledge than necessary in this situation. You can sit in a lab and conduct all the test and gather all the technical information you want. When you are behind the wheel with your hands full looking at a flawed gauge system that will give you readings all over the place because the oil is slinging around like a washing machine in high speed is exactly that unreliable. When the engine slows down under caution the oil temp will go up. Install the proper oiling and cooling system in your car and forget the gauges. I have sold many cars to new drivers, they insist on gauges. A year later they are buying a blank dash panel and selling the gauges. I will say if I were running road course I would consider gauges.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 06:34:23 pm »
Be nice children.

I happen to have gauges for everything. Do you have time to pay much attention to them while racing? Or would you heed them anyway?
Likely not.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »
Steve, its all good. I know we have all types of folks driving, some like to be ultra technical and others not so much. I have seen too many racers pull off the track only to find the gauge or sending unit and even driver error reading the gauge was the true issue. Like I said, a good oiling system, good cooling system and pay attention to your waste oil. That's all you will need. Kind of like too many mirrors, just another distraction to slow your lap times.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:38:32 pm »
Very true!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline 1934sedan

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 11:19:13 pm »
Thanks Guys!!

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 09:56:43 am »
So were you ever able to resolve you oil temp gauge issue?
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline 1934sedan

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:17:22 pm »
No not yet, I stll cant get it to work.

anything