Author Topic: Thinking about starting to race  (Read 16800 times)

Offline dmm95

Thinking about starting to race
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:01 am »
Hi guys I'm 17 and I've never raced before. Its always been a dream of mine, and I think I am gonna finally do it. I'm thinking about leasing a car since I don't really have anyone to help maintain one or any way to transport one. I don't really know much about mechanics of cars & I'm a little nervous about doing a test drive, being new, etc. But like I said, I love racing and want to do it more than anything else.

Any advice is much appreciated

Thank you,
- Dave

Offline deafoldgit

Re: Thinking about starting to race
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:31:40 am »
hi dave and welcome!

i also lease a car but it does come home with me and i do look after it! i think its a good way to start and see if you like it? and then maybe get your own later!

i would say just take your time at first and get used to the car! and your speed will go up and your times will go down!

good luck and let us know how things go :-)

martin
go hard or go home

martin

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:54:59 am »
Hi Dave,

Welcome!
Take a test drive and see if this kind of racing is for you. Check out this link for a dealer or track near you that offers the test drive sessions.
http://www.uslegendcars.com/getting_started/
We've had several of our younger members that started with one of these test sessions.

As far as the mechanics of the cars, you will learn plenty.  ;)  Lots of good info here on the site. Also, your dealer and other drivers or mechanics are usually willing to help out. Perhaps go to the track and hang out in the pits. Check out the cars and see what it takes to race. Ask questions. Perhaps a driving school would be helpful also. They will teach you how to drive and give you some seat time.

Best Of Luck,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline EJR51

• facebook.com/ericjonesracing
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:32:22 am »
Dave,

Agree on all points that Steve made.  I began racing last year, but before I ever took my own car onto the track I went to the USLC "school."  Jerry Baker and Walt were awesome - especially Walt at getting you comfortable in the car and bringing you up to speed, progressively.  The track they use is the 1/5 mile and it's open so you don't have to worry about hitting anything - and no crash clause.  I highly recommend it, and it's one of the things that USLC does really well.

Best of luck!
Eric Jones
#51 FreedomBehindTheWheel.org
Virginia

Offline JLowe18

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:05:05 am »
Dave. Where are you located?

Offline dmm95

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:24:20 am »
Thanks for all the input guys! And I'm in Maryland.
I'm still just a little nervous about the test drive and being new to it. I know not to drive super hard, but should I try to get a decent/fast lap time in a test drive?

Offline Briz81

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
No one will care how fast you are going, and you shouldn't either. First few times out is about getting comfortable with the car and what it can do. My first time ever in a car was a few hours before my first race, which probably was not the wisest move, but that's how it went down. I just went out and got used to the car for a few laps, and came back in with a huge grin ready to go back out again. I had a more experienced driver work with me and give me tips on braking points, when to get on the gas and point out mistakes I made. I managed to gain a bunch of time after some tutoring, but more importantly I gained confidence. Also, don't be afraid to talk to the other drivers at the track, most will be glad to help you out and give advice.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:12:18 pm »
Dave,
Where in Maryland are you located?

If your close enough to the Central PA area, and if you are available, I invite you to come to the races with me. I have no crew and would gladly help get you up to speed with what you need to know.

Even if your not 100% go on the racing end yet (car, funds, saftey equip, seat time), just going to the races and helping crew will put you ahead of the game when you do start racing.

I started by helping an uncle that raced. I had little to zero mechanical experience. The next year, I started running a FWD strictly stock class. The following year I built my own FWD car. After 2 years of running FWD, I got my legend car.  Now in my 2nd year in Legends, I can't imagine if I had tried to start from scratch. Just what I learned from helping crew for my uncle has gone a long way both on and off the track.

Once you do get started, I wouldn't worry about how fast you are right away. Speed and confidence will come with seat time. Also, most drivers will help you out because it will help them in the long run.  Helping someone new  get up to speed and handling well can create less issues on track. Someone who may be off pace, but if they can hold thier line and are predictable on track, it causes less issues for everyone.

As I said before, if your close enough to our area, I'd be more than happy to help you get started, maybe even get you some practice laps Wednesday nights at a local track's test & tune sessions. You gotta love eating dirt though...

Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline dmm95

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:49:09 pm »
Man that is an awesome offer. Where in Central PA are you exactly? I'd love to do it, but I think the closest track in PA is almost 4 hours away. And Im kinda afraid that I would be more of a burden than a help because I really know 0 about racing or street car mechanics. My dad was awesome with cars, but he passed away when I was 10 years old so he never got to pass it on to me. It really does suck being in Maryland and trying to race. IMO probably the worst state on the east coast for it. There is not 1 single paved oval in MD, and only a couple dirt tracks. The closest paved oval to me was Old Dominion in Manassas VA, but now that it shut down the closest is Shenandoah Speedway in VA and its like 2hrs and 45min away. I'm located in Southern Baltimore County

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 03:26:36 pm »
I live in East Berlin, PA (17316). Baltimore is about 1 1/2 hours for me.

As far as helping, any help is good help. Like I said, I knew very little when I started helping.

My offer stands...

If your interested in making the road trip, visit www.centralpalegends.com check out the schedule and find my bio under the drivers tab. You can find my email address & phone number. We can figure out a race that you can meet up with us. Trail-ways Speedway (google map Brushtown, PA) is about 1.25 hr from Baltimore & Lincoln Speedway (google map Abbottstown, PA) is 5 minutes from my house. Most of our other tracks are north of my location.

Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:31:52 pm »
I'm going to Shenandoah tomorrow. If you want to go there and help in the pits we will have two cars there.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline dmm95

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:57 pm »
I'm going to WV with family tomorrow so I wouldn't be able to. Even though I want to and even though I know it would be a great learning experience, I just can't drive 3 hours to do that, it would be hard enough to go there as a driver.

But I might consider helping Earnst since he is only a little over an hour away

Offline amp racing

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 05:39:28 pm »
just remember you don't want a huge repair bill because you thought people would laugh if you were slow.... control first add speed, more control and add more speed.. before long you will be in the mix safely and respectfully.

joe

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 07:25:54 pm »
David,

How bad do you want to go racing? You are getting some pretty nice offers to come see what it is all about. Yes; You may have to drive a bit and get your hands dirty. Sorry!.... Not trying to be rude. That is what it is all about. You are going to drive farther than you would like; Spend every last penny you have; Live without sleep; Girlfriend (wife) is going to be mad because you spend no time with her and just spent the grocery money on new brakes. I understand family obligations. DO take the time (at some point) and meet these folks that are trying to help you out. They are all good folks!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline dmm95

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
David,

How bad do you want to go racing? You are getting some pretty nice offers to come see what it is all about. Yes; You may have to drive a bit and get your hands dirty. Sorry!.... Not trying to be rude. That is what it is all about. You are going to drive farther than you would like; Spend every last penny you have; Live without sleep; Girlfriend (wife) is going to be mad because you spend no time with her and just spent the grocery money on new brakes. I understand family obligations. DO take the time (at some point) and meet these folks that are trying to help you out. They are all good folks!

Steve

Oh I want to do it bad!!!.....but I am at the mercy of my mom lol. Im 17, and in MD you cant drive out of state with a provisional license. So its not that I wouldnt do it, its that my mom wont. Its still gonna be a push to get her to take me to race, I asked and she said no about driving that far to crew.

My little brother Jonathan is severely Autistic and its really hard to get help for him, so we usually only have 1 day completely free every week. So my mom say it would just be to hard to drive long distance to crew, since she would be driving I have to agree that it would be too hard for her. But if I was driving I would be there in a heartbeat with you all!

Sorry guys, but thats where Im at right now.

anything