Author Topic: professional setups  (Read 16196 times)

Offline Dirtmod117

professional setups
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:19:40 am »
Does anyone know how much the pro's like Chase Pistone or Dan Schnieder or any of the guys in north carolina charge to setup a legends car?

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
Re: professional setups
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:22 pm »
I believe it depends on all what you get with them (like if you buy a chassis from them). 
Their pricing is usually between $600 and $900 for them to do a setup.
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline erich17

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »
Save your money is my only comment

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:37 am »
If you have little experience with Legend car set-up you will need help in some way. There are some manuals out there for sale, they are not cheap. If you are fortunate you can hook up with someone that has learned and sees you are in  the situation they were once in. Pricing a set-up is hard to do because there are many variables, you may have purchased a car that is close and needs very little. The condition of the car has alot to do with the cost, if the components are old and worn most set-up guys like myself will ask you to replace them (heims, balljoints etc). These parts are usually parts that have play in them or are worn and will effect the handling of the car. Then there are MANY upgrade parts that alot of guys want to sell, some could be a benefit and others are more bling, thats where the racers budget comes in to play. Long story short if you bring me a car that is a nice car, not abused and has been mainained I charge $350.00 and up to go through the car and set up. Remember this, I have applied about every set-up possible to an asphalt track, the most important thing I can tell you about set up is matching tires to the set-up.  Different tire cuts work better with different spring packages and cross weight, whoever cuts your tires should give you some general help as to what to do. I hope this helps!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:35:11 am »
Save your money is my only comment

I have to disagree with you. Some people do not have the proper equipment or know how to get their set up at least in the ball park.
Paying people in-the-know can be the best option vs trial and error, expensive wrecks, etc...

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:40:50 am »
just to be fair to the set up guys.. it takes a lot of time to start from scratch to properly set up a car and their experience is worth it if you can afford it... just be aware they mostly all dislike each other.....

joe

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:26:23 am »
Steve, lol read my first sentence.  I believe everyone understands you cant build furniture without tools.

If you have a Leged car it and you have the car set up you will have to have the equip. to maintain the set-up, otherwise within a few races you will be paying to have it somewhat done again.
Scales (of some sort)             $500.00 and up
Caster camber gauge             $100.00 and up
wheel base gauge                    $ 60.00
6 ft. straight edge or level     $ 25.00
angle finder                             $ 20.00
tape measure                           $ 10.00
Air gauge                                  $ ?

You really need this stuff to maintain a Legend car (min.)

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:06 am »
Dennis, I think Steve was talking about erich17comment.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:47 am »
If thats the case I  misread and retract my smart ass comment, lol

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:51 am »
That is why I quoted his post.
No offense.

Steve

knoxracing

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:08:13 am »
if your not offended im not offended!      no offense!      Sounds like the Cleveland Browns

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 10:26:02 am »
if your not offended im not offended!      no offense!      Sounds like the Cleveland Browns

LOL! Thanks for posting the cost of some of the equipment. These are things that some people don't think about when they decide to get into racing.
NOT included in your post is the experience that the "professionals" bring to the table.

Steve

knoxracing

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 10:44:10 am »
No question there! I spent THOUSANDS on figuring out what works and what will not work, then we switched tires and that was set back. We are still learning and finding new things all the time.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:28 pm »
Being new to these cars and coming from karts I didnt have much of a clue what I was doing. The used car I purchaced last year had a unique setup for a particular track that I dont normaly attend.

I dont have scales but have access to them through a friend if needed. I had nothing to go by except for what I read online. Becoming friends with one of the front runners in Nelcar I found that he has helped doing setups for racers that need help.

We spent a day on the car checking and adjusting everything, keeping notes on what the car now has. It was around $350 for the day. Evan and his father are very good with these cars.  I run my first oval with the setup this weekend and although I dont expect to be upfront I do expect to be better.

Definatly worth it in my eyes as I continue to learn and get better. Running only once a month it would take me forever to figure things out on my own.

knoxracing

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 03:38:25 pm »
Money well spent. Thats why I help lots of people for free on this forum.  I had very little help and not much info was GIVEN out. Half what was given was false and the other half came from 30 different people and not much of it helped. Find someone fair, stick with them and stay true to there program until you feel that person has taken you as far as they can. At that point you may have to search for the next step. Taking small pieces of info from alot of people will confuse you and it will not make sense when it is put together on the car. Good luck.