Author Topic: break bias help????  (Read 10693 times)

Offline Rfisher23

break bias help????
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »
Ok....new to the legends cars only been out a few times learning, so got the car up on jack stands and was going over everything before next sat, and traced all my break lines, i have a turn knob style break adjuster, my question is, my right front wheel is ran stright to the master cylinder and my left front and both my back breaks are hooked to the break bias, so when i adjust my breaks and i hit the breaks the right front wheel has more pressure than the left front, so basically im only adjusting the rear wheel and my left front, and my right front is hooked up strigbt to tje master cyclinder, so when i hit the breaks it always has more break,

Is this all hooked up right, seems to me you would want the break bias on the read wheels and on the right front, and have the left hooked stright to master cylinder, cause it needs more break to pull the car down right??????

Ricky Fisher #23

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: break bias help????
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:00:24 pm »
How are the lines hooked up to the prop valve? There is one inlet and one outlet.

There are 2 schools of thought on brakes, either to run the rears through the prop valve to dial out rear brake,
or run the RF through it
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:37:42 am »
There is a line coming out of the in outlet on the valve thats runs up to the front to a tee fitting that runs to the rf break and the master cylinder, now on the valve the out hole a line comes out to another tee and runs to both rear breaks and a oj the otherside of that tee a line gos to the left front wheel, so im guessing when i adjust to the rear im adjusting both back wheels and my left front, and when i adjust to the front it adjust the rf???
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:44:28 am »
Back when you could run 2 proportion valves you could run seperate valves to rear and to right front. As I have to run left and right turns, my brake valve is set up front and rear. I have the lever type, as it is easy to adjust compared to the knob type. Up side of the knob type proportioning valve is better fine tuning adjustments. Lever type has pre-set adjustments.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:11:56 pm »
maybe its an asphalt thing, but that is confusing as hell to me. When the valve is open, you have even brake pressure everywhere. When you close/adjust the valve, it cuts pressure to whatever is run through it. If I'm following you correctly, when you close the prop valve, you are cutting everything BUT the right front, which is completely  opposite of what I am used to. How many outlets are on your master cylinder?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »
I run oval asphalt, is it better to just hook it up where i can give more back or more front?
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 12:18:59 pm »
I run oval asphalt, is it better to just hook it up where i can give more back or more front?

On tight tracks (pavement or dirt) it may be of help to have the left front brake help pull you into the corner.
I guess that depends on track and driving style.

Steve

Offline Jason3031

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 12:30:24 pm »
Many asphalt drivers will run the valve to the LF.
Jason Knox

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 12:37:04 pm »
On the Stock cars and the modifieds, that's how we did it. These cars are a lot lighter, and I have not had a chance to check out the braking situation yet.
Remember that pulling the car into the corner may change your set up and/or driving style.

Steve

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:59:21 pm »
My brake is run with the valve to the LF.  This is what Jeff Jordan at RPM does. 

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 04:10:55 pm »
In my opinion, Running a bias on the LF only covers up a problem with suspension. The reason guys run LF is to stop the LF locking up. The problem is, the LF is only locking up because the majority of the weight is on the RF. This means not enough weight on the LF, and you are essentially overloading the RF. If you adjust the LF suspension so that more weight stays on it, you are using more tire, which equals more grip.

I run my valve on RF for the reasons stated above. cut the RF off and let the LF help pull the car into the corner. Not to mention, with the weight shifting to the RF, the RF will ALWAYS do more breaking then the LF (Check brake temps after a race and you'll see)

Again, just my opinion, and maybe I am wrong. After all, I'm not the fastest guy out there... :)
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Jason3031

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »
I also believe it has a lot to do with driving style.  If you lift earlier and let the car roll in, you may not have issues with locking up the front brakes.  If you like to drive the car in a mile and brake hard, you may need that front valve...
Jason Knox

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 08:39:29 pm »
Can you hook the breaks up to adjust rear? Example, hook both front wheels into the front of the break bias valve and the run the rear wheels into the back of the valve? So just being able to adjust rear? Can they be ran like this or no??
Ricky Fisher #23

knoxracing

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:19 pm »
I can tell you this for fact. The way your vlave is plumbed is the way I would leave it. This is not a crutch so to say, it is an equalizer. The way a Legend car enters the corner the left front wheel unloads alot of weight to the right front wheel. With so much weight off the left front wheel it wants to lock grab hard. When the left front grabs hard the car will become very loose on entry as the rear will want to come around. Taking left front away will even the front braks out based on the weight applied to each wheel and many times you will want the car to pull slightly right on entry. There are more advantages involved that I will not just throw out to read.