Author Topic: foam filters on fire?  (Read 7166 times)

Offline amp racing

foam filters on fire?
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:12:18 am »
this week end the car was popping due to a bad spark plug.. all of a sudden in the pits the brand new foam air filter sets a blaze, fire very hot and sticky foam filter dripping everywhere on fire... felllow racer came over and said thats why we don't use them anymore, ours set on fire during a race, we went back to the K&N.. had no idea this would happen..

joe

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: foam filters on fire?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:31:00 pm »
Joe,

Sorry to hear that you had a fire. The problem is, there should never be a spark in the intake system/circuit to start a fire. I am not sure how a bad plug could cause the spark to get into the intake system. You need to make sure you are not using a filter oil that will not promote the fire as well, as some oils have a much lower flash point

Do not condemn the use of the better filter because of the fire you had. The K&N as well as other paper media filters burn just as easily as they are also a consumable material; cotton/paper which then catches the rubber on fire and leaves a sticky goo all over too.

As far as your fellow racer having a fire occur in the filters during a race tells me he probably broke a cam and with the intake valves stuck open they are going to burn. That could have happened with either filter.

In almost 20 years, I have personally never had a filter fire, but have seen my share. Most of the time the fire is caused by an underlying issue, something allowing the spark/fire into the intake circuit. The filter fire was a result of that issue and not the cause of the fire, and is still the best type of filter you can use on your Legend car.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:33 am »
The only fire I have ever had was a K&N. Ran the foam ones for years with no problems.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:14 am »
I have seen a couple filter fires, the one set was foam and it was messy. We run the foam style filters as they are cheap, dyno well and easier to maintain.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:13:11 am »
Joe,

I have to agree with Randy; The filter itself is not the issue. You have something else going on. A bad spark plug? Doubtful.
Timing, valves or carb issue perhaps. Something caused the engine to backfire through the carbs which caused your fire.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:47 am »
i understand about what you all are saying... just pointing out this was a surprise to see... i replaced the spark plugs and ran 80 laps after that all good.... if it is a timming plate acting up or a  a stuck float it did not do it after the spark plug replacement..... i am not trashing the filters, just putting it out there if your motor is popping this could happen..thats all..caution to the wind..

joe

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 01:10:18 pm »
I agree, this is the stuff worth discussing. Thanks for the info!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:15 pm »
Yes, any time there is a fire or safety issue, it helps us all to discuss it.
Thanks
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

anything