Author Topic: Wilwood Residual Pressure Valve  (Read 7758 times)

GADAWG

Wilwood Residual Pressure Valve
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:08:38 pm »
I have a Wilwood 10 PSI in-line residual brake valve for my rear drums.
What does this really do for me? Is it now illegal on the legends or
is it just the proportioning valves that will become off-limits
sometime in '08?

Brian

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Re: Wilwood Residual Pressure Valve
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:14:56 pm »
Hey Brian,

You can still use a proportioning valve in your car.  On the rear is best as it will correct a loose in situation.  What you are doing is taking away from the back brakes so they dont bite as much when you turn.  For us Canadians it is like locking up the wheels on ice, you will spin right around.  So it is good to have you just have to find the setting that works for you on your track.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 02:01:59 pm »
For anyone who has not used them before, the residual valve is just a check valve to keep fluid from draining back from the brakes to the master cylinder.  That way the brakes will react quicker when you hit the pedal (assuming your setup drains fluid back).  My modified used floor mounted master cylinders, so I needed to use the valves.  With the higher mounted master cylinder on the Legends cars, not sure that it would be needed unless you run the brake lines up hill higher than the master cylinder.  Have no idea if they are legal, or if it would count as your one "valve" allowed in 2008.   

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:00:51 am »
The way I read the rule, it won't be legal if you have an adjustable valve.  If your brake fluid reservoir is above all your slave cylinders, then you should not have a proble as long as you keep your rear mechanical brake shoe adjusters properly set.  The inline residual valve is supposed to counteract the spring from substantially pulling the shoe off the drum.  So your brakes are there right when you step on them.  This can cause excess drag.  Adjust your brakes often, here's how I do it with two people:

One person sits in the car, which is on jackstands, and files her nails.
Take off the rear wheels
Have her press the brake and hold it
Put two lug nuts on snug to hold the drums in place
Thighten the adjusting star wheels through the holes in the back of the brake plate
You can only move the wheel so far each time you pry on it through the hole...call each pry a "movement"
Once the adjuster is tight, back it off 4 movements
Now your helper can let off the brake.  The rear end should roll without brake drag and should stop without much brake pedal travel.  If you have any drag, you either have a bent axle or runout in the brake drum.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:09:18 am »

"One person sits in the car, which is on jackstands, and files her nails."

:D ;D I needed that today...Thanks! ;D :D

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/