Author Topic: barnett clutch, lost neutral  (Read 11939 times)

Offline canabl

barnett clutch, lost neutral
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:25 pm »
Hi all,
I replaced the standard slipping clutch that was in my dirt legend last week with a new set of Barnett discs and blue sprung face plate.
It sure is a change and very un forgiving trying to take off from still.
All was going great until there was a massive rollover in our feature causing a red light, the car would not select neutral even with pumping the clutch between 1st and 2nd, even holding the clutch down the car would still creep?
Tried to restart it and would not turn over and had safety guys push me whilst i gave the start button a blast, was stuck in gear?
Came in after the feature and it was back to normal?
any suggestions on what i should check or what may have caused it?
thanks
Adam from Oz

Offline Earnst85

Re: barnett clutch, lost neutral
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:20:07 am »
Maybe bleed the clutch... We had one that would creep if you pushed the clutch down all the way, but would be okay if only pressed halfway.  We bled the clutch and has been okay since. Just an idea.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline canabl

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:56 pm »
Hey again,
I managed to get some time to go over the clutch install and removed the front cover to check it was all still in there properly.
I had my boy press down the pedal and saw all the movement was clean and free inside, bled the clutch line and tightened up the steel shifter linkage on the shaft. It did seem to get a little better but still clunks into first or second standing still? this is a stock motor so possibly the gears are worn or do these have syncro rings like cars?

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:48:59 am »
Mine has always "clunked" when I put it in gear. I think it is the whole drive train that I hear but you might be hearing something different.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:46:21 am »
The 2 cars we run "clunk" when put into gear.

Robert

Offline Babblinb

• Smith Boys Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:29:23 am »
Our car "clunks" also, let us know what this is.

I'll probably have to bring my own friends!!!!!!

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:22 am »
Both of my cars always clunk when you put it in gear.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:26 pm »
Just the drive train. Motorcycle kind of clunk when you put them into gear also.

Robert

Offline DanH

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:17 pm »
Is this the barnett clutch pack with the 6 hex bolts on the front to set the pressure? If so did you remove the second pressure plate that is usually run with standard clutches?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:16:35 pm »
What did you torque the bolts down to?
It's not very much, something like 6ft/lbs...I'll check for sure later tonight
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline canabl

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:02 pm »
i followed the little piece of paper instructions i got with it.
I removed all the stock plates and the associated bits from the housing but left the original basket. gave the metal plates between the clutch plates a quick scuff up as they had some golden blue scorch marks on them. put the thin plate at the back then stacked it all as per normal followed by the blue plate.
The instructions said to tighten the 6 allen screws up but no specific torque so i did do it fairly tight. When i pulled the cover off after the first race to check everything again, i did notice that the flat washers provided with the springs were not centralised and a few pick up marks were around the holes in the blue plate? could this also limit the amount of travel on the clutch? if so how do i adjust this?

funny thing is that the clutch was very aggressive first few times i tried to release and drive off when i was loading it in the trailer and at track fort time, but now it does feel a little soft and the pedal is very easy to press not changing feel at any time through the process.
I have though noticed that once it gets warm the motor wont crank over and i could not select neutral and with the clutch pressed in there was still engagement in gear. maybe a totally seperate issue again.....

anything