Author Topic: Just what can you do to a Sealed Engine  (Read 4508 times)

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
Just what can you do to a Sealed Engine
« on: January 29, 2013, 02:42:44 pm »
New to Legends and getting a bit of conflicting info.

I'm told there are two seals on the engine. (Upper and Lower?)

I'm told you can adjust your own valves without disturbing the top seal?

I'm also told that you can remove the oil pan to replace a leaking gasket but it appears that this would disturb the lower seal?   Another person told me that th engine has to go back to 600 to replace the oil pan gasket.

Is there a list in writing of things you can do?
Can anyone verify exactly the situation for the oil pan?  (I've got a leaking drain plug and thinking about the possibility of having to repair the threads or replace the pan. )

One person told me to just JB weld (epoxy)  or seal the drain plug and get the pan replaced when the engine is sent back for full rebuid.  Not a terrible solution as long as oil can be drained from the remote oil filter line fitting---just not ideal. 

Concept of the sealed engine is great except cost and time for shipping is a bit of a concern for minor repairs, and its uncertain when you will get the engine back-sounds like it takes two sealed engines to race competitively?

Offline Grape Competition Develop

Re: Just what can you do to a Sealed Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:04:31 pm »
Upper seal keeps cylinder head to block, the other seal is on the chain tensioner to keep you from taking the cams out.  Oil pan can come off no problem.  It's not fun but you can split the cases with the top end still assembled and seals still intact if you have a transmission problem......

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »
The top seal is obvious. It seals the head to the jug. You can adjust valves, remove carbs etc. That is all that is intended to be done on the top. The second seal is on the cam chain tensioner. This has nothing to do woth the pan. There is no seal for the pan or its gaskets. The clutch area can also be serviced as there is no seal there either. Remove the steering shaft, the pan bolts and the pan will come out. Sometimes you may need to tap it gently with a rubber mallet to knock it loose, no big deal. It is common for the drain plug to strip, they do make some inserts to repair it although I have not tried to do this. A pan off an fj1100 or 1200 will fit with no problem as well as the 1250 pan. hope this helps!

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »
Thanks. 

I was able to speak to INEX engine shop and your comments agree with their's.   Sounds like the racer can do a lot of the "basic" maintenance.