Author Topic: Car running hot  (Read 10272 times)

Offline faster12

Car running hot
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:10:48 pm »
Ok guys after a long season with my dirt car I finally got to take my legends car to the track yesterday. Months ago when I took the car the oil temp was pushing 300 degrees so I improved my oil cooler system. the changes I made seemed to help a lot at the shop but not so much on the track. The car was setting for a long time before I bought it so I got to thinking maybe I've got trash in the carbs which is causing the engine to run lean in turn increasing my temps I also noticed that the car seems to idle erratically so I started looking for a possible air leak which leads me to my question how tight are the clamps from the intake to carb supposed to be? The clamps have a little spacer in the middle but the clamps are no where near closed up to the  spacer. Should it be?

Offline Legends57x

Re: Car running hot
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:05:52 pm »
Spacers on carb clamps are there for a purpose.  Fasteners should be tightened until seating against spacer.  The spacer also serves as a stop so someone does not overtighten these clamps causing carb boots to get cut, thus causing an air leak.  As far as your issue, go ahead and tightend up all four clamps up to the spacer stops and see if this curers problem.  You may have had an air leak causing lean condition due to clamps being loose.   If this does not help, disassemble and inspect carb boots for cracks all the way thru the boot.  Boots often show signs of cracks on the outside of the boot, but the crack does not always penetrate thru entire thickness of the boot.

Good luck!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 03:22:10 pm »
how long are the spacers?

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:28:25 pm »
What color are your plug readings? That may give you thoughts as to lean or rich, jetting, etc...
Cracks in the boots can be fixed with rubber coatings for a temporary fix. Shop around for boots. I have seen the prices all over the spectrum.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:16:44 pm »
The 600 way of reading oil temp is at the end of a trough where oil doesnt circulate, it just sits and bakes.  Dont pay attention to the factory gauge, just shoot the oil filter with a temp gun when you come in and i doubt you will see over 250.

Offline faster12

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:57:14 am »
I've tightened the clamps and ran the car at idle for 30 mins in the trailer the oil temp reached 300 degrees which didn't seem bad considering there was no air flow but the problem has only showed itself on the track in the past. I've also gotten a can of carb cleaner and sprayed all around the intake I didn't notice and change in the engine sound so I don't think I have a air leak now. the plugs looked white like they were lean. Can y'all think of a good way to test the problem without taking the car to the track.

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:15:31 pm »
If you are still relying on the factory gauge to give you accurate readings, you are fighting a never ending battle.  If you have an oil pan off of an engine you will see what im taking about...

Offline faster12

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:13 pm »
I checked the temp at the filter and its within 30 degrees of the gauge so I don't think it's to far off. Plus why isn't everyone else's gauges pegging out?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:05 pm »
What are you running for oil?
You can PM me isf you don't wantto start another Great Oil Debate  ::)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline faster12

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »
haha mobil 1 full syn 20-50

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 05:41:00 pm »
How are the carbs jetted? Too lean will heat it up
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline faster12

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 05:58:28 pm »
That I couldn't tell ya. I'm guessing I take the bowl off the carb and ill find them there?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:28 pm »
Yes,
If they are 110's or 112's for mains, that'll heat you up real good...melt a piston even
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline faster12

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:07 pm »
ok i may get to go out there in a few mins if not maybe tomorrow.  is there anywhere i can find a break down of the carbs? also I was thinking maybe i need to reset my valves is there a guide to do that anywhere around here. thanks for all the help guys!

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »
Check out this previous thread for adjusting valves... :)

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=201.0
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

anything