Author Topic: Chassis parts question  (Read 6728 times)

Offline CJ5

Chassis parts question
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:55:51 pm »
hi guys
I'll start by introducing myself ; my name is Chris I race modifieds on dirt in the midwest
my interest in the legends comes about because I have a friend that has started racing one (I'll be honest I never really gave them a look before but have been impressed by them since watching my friend)
My question is what is your opinion or iterpretation of the rule about some of the parts , A  arms, bumpers and nerf bars stuff that I think I could make myself. The rule says something like within 1/8 inch as delivered by 600 racing. Do you think you have to buy these things from 600 or do you think a person could make some of these parts and stay within the INEX rules. I'm certainly not trying to bend the rules at all but I think a person can do a lot of tuning within the rules with that 1/8 combined with the mounting spacer rule (up to 3/4 inch).
I am also NOT very familiar with these cars but as a racer I see potential for some tuning that maybe some people might miss using spacers to offset and a couple of other things.
Don't get me wrong I think this is a great class and I'm not looking to mess that up at all I just want to see what others think.
Thank you all
Great forum I think this helps a lot of newcomers like myself

Full time Realtor Part time Racer. Whats wrong with this picture?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Chassis parts question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:18:27 pm »
Hey Chris, welcome aboard and thanks for the interest in our series. The rules are somewhat ambiguous in those areas, I guess it all depends on what "as delivered by 600 racing" are interpreted as.  Under the Nerf Bars section, it states "no other type of nerf bars are allowed", but thats the only area where I can see any wording that strong. They are pretty particular with the size and thickness on materials throughout the rulebook though, and honestly, with the prices 600 charges for the tubular type products (if you buy straight from North Carolina without the dealers extra parts mark-up above and beyond full retail that I've been seeing), I cant see a whole lot of savings unless you already have the equipment, but I suppose being a modified guy, you have all the toys already! ;D

I never thought of all the adjustments you could make with the spacer allowance, I never looked that hard at the rule book, Im still trying to get all the power to the track! Maybe we can get you to trade that modified in for a Legend!!!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Chassis parts question
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:42:14 am »
Hi Chris,
 Glad your here!
 Congrats on winning the oil!!!
 I used to race pavement mods over here in the Pacific Northwest. Like you, a friend introduced me to the "Little" cars. Not sure what your rules are where you race; but my mod was costing upwards of $15,000 per season. That was back in the early '80s. It's up over $25,000 now days. That was assuming that I could fix any major problems (I'm a pretty innovative guy). An engine cost a minimum of $8,000 back then. Costs of fuel is up; Not only for the race car, but just for towing. Tire bill was kept down only because I bought used tires from the ASA guys. I had a body shop as one of my sponsors, and the bodywork was not all that technical where I raced. Suspension mods are more technical these days. A whole lot more that I could ramble on about; but it just has dollar signs attached.
 In this series, everybody runs (basically) the same equipment. The rules DO limit what you can do. There are options to run ovals, road courses, auto-cross, drag racing, etc... Things outside the INEX, 600 Racing; You could get back into the sky is the limit!
 The car I am building is NOT a Legends Car. It is, by definition, a Dwarf Car. Dwarfs still run the motorcyle powered engines; but Do Not attempt to limit costs. Also, NO Fenders. There's a lot more to it, but that is a simplified version. I am planning to run SCCA Auto-Cross, because I don't see it as cost effective to tow 300+ miles to race at a INEX Sanctioned event.
 I don't always agree with with the rules; but they are in place to try to keep everyone on a level playing field. Open Engines would give you a chance to get your hands dirty; maybe some room for innovation (within the rules). Sealed Engines( just my oppinion), would allow you to concentrate your efforts on set up.
 The "As Delivered By 600 Racing"; You would have to ask someone that knows more than me. My personal oppinion; IF the part meets their requirement - Then it should be OK. I'm Not A Tech Guy, so can't say for sure. I DO know that 600 Racing parts are not near as expensive as some of the parts that I paid for my modified. My car is being built using a lot of the ideas and rules that govern the Legends Car Series. I see it as a cost saving measure.
 Ask your friend if you can test out his (or her) car. I think you will be surprised at how much power and responsiveness these cars have! For their size, thery are pretty quick!
 We have a few members that have done the modifieds, and are looking into the Legends Series. I, personally, am looking forward to the challenge of building my own car; as well as the challenge of learning more about motorcycle powered vehicles. I Do have a slight advantage in that department, as my younger brother is a motorcyle mechanic.
 So, Long Winded as that was; Check it out!!! Couldn't hurt! Never know; You might like it!!!

JMHO

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything