Author Topic: red coils dying  (Read 6153 times)

Offline canabl

red coils dying
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:52:17 pm »
Hi all,
A bit of help needed from a dirt speedway racer in Australia.
I purchased an imported legend car from usa and we have started racing them over here on a clay medium banked track.
After a few meetings in a winter series the car has now started to run around the front of the pack but also after asking more of the motor we have started reliability issues.
It HAD a 1250 block with what looked to be a non EGR xj1200 head on it unless the 1250 comes out like that too, it has a full red ignition system on it also. only guage i have a digatron with an inductive tacho pickup off the back cyl plug wire.
First drama we had as we rolled out for a heat race starting pole, we lost cyl 2,3 coil pack, swapped it out and won the feature that night.
Next week going for the lead again in the feature the car started to die and ended up stopping all together, got home and checked it in morning and a white wire on the blue pickup had snapped off, managed to repair it and get  us going for the next race.
First heat was on fire (literally) as when we came off the track the motor was pouring oil down the exhaust of cyl 2. not sure if the motor had blown or not as it ran fine with no noises, we replaced it with a road bike fj1200, transferred all my carbs and ignition over just to get to the track again.
We were leading the feature again after a few laps and on way to a win when the coil pack blew again....
Not happy....
So what do people suggest we start looking at, i also changed the alternator over from the old motor so the plugs would just wire up to my harness, so it could be
bad red box
bad red coil
bad blue pickup
spike from alternator or red box

cheers mates
CANABL

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: red coils dying
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:15:23 pm »
I'd look at the red box first Adam
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline canabl

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »
I rolled the car out of the trailer and it fired up perfectly.
It ran for three minutes and then when it started to warm up started to lose that coil again.
Seems heat related now? I even checked the old coil and it tests fine on the meter.
Now to try get some new parts out here before our race on 19th with the World Series Sprintcars.

Offline TG01

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:32:23 pm »
You say that you swapped the ignition over to the new (street bike) motor.
Did you swap the pick up as well, we have seen a couple different types of pick ups and they do not allways work together. Just curious because this has bitten us before.
Also some have the terminals attached different resulting in a contact with the dust cover eliminating the spark.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:16:11 pm »
we had the cover issue only when it heated up a little.. ground down the cover where the contacts were hitting...
joe

Offline canabl

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »
We replaced the factory pick with the blue plate, last week we had that fail with a white wire coming loose. Because we have no spares in australia we had it repaired.
We will replace the whole lot now and hopefully solve our issues.