Author Topic: Inex digital gear indicator install  (Read 9921 times)

Offline 1934sedan

Inex digital gear indicator install
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »
Hello guys I am getting ready to install one of these in my car , now  the instructions are saying to remove a cover and the hydraulic slave cylinder and bolts , how hard is this to do in the car, there is very limited space there.  Can you give me some in site on this install?

Thanks

knoxracing

Re: Inex digital gear indicator install
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:10 pm »
its not hard to do, youcant screw anything up. Justbdo not overtighten the three screws that hold the indicator unit in. It is a plastic piece and wil crack if you over torque it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:44 am »
Chris,

As Dennis points out, Do Not Overtighten the screws on the indicator plate. Snug should do.
Here is another thread on the subject:
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1582.0

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:31:11 am »
It is not hard to do.....First remove shifter arm from splined shaft, remember to remove shift arm bolt completely from arm in order to remove.  You may want use a paint pen to make some sort marking before removing shift arm so you can reinstall it in same position.  If I remember correctly, there are 3 bolts that need to be removed prior to removing hydraulic slave cylinder.  The three bolts retaining the plastic shift cover will either be allen head or torx, both metric.  Once removed, make sure to wipe cover housing on engine clean.  You can reuse O-ring from original shift indicator onto your digital shift indicator cover, just make sure to apply a light coat of engine oil or silicone grease to O-ring prior to installation.  Reinstall cover, and as previous posts, just lightly hand tighten all three fasteners.   Reinstall hydraulic slave cylinder and again just hand tighten fasteners.  Reinstall shifter arm  in same position and hand tighen this fastener also.  I use a grade 5  1/4"-20 bolt on all my cars for the shifter arm bolt as I broke a similar grade 8 bolt just tightening it by hand.   Hope this is what you were looking for.

Good luck!  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline 1934sedan

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:17:23 am »
Thanks for your help guys!!

Greatly appreciated

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:20 pm »
If someone could help even further on this. When I pulled my motor this year the wires to the gear indicator got stuck and ripped them off, I want to solder them back on but need a picture of the plastic piece to show me which color goes where. This would certainly save me the 100 bucks for a new one. Thanks

Offline racintaz99

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:34:51 pm »
I will try to describe it the best that I can as when I try to post a pic it always says it's too large.

Starting with the 3 prongs that are very close together.

Far right is black
Middle is orange
left is red

next 1 to the left is blue
next is green
next is white

the final 1 is blank..... no wires attached at all.

Hope this helps.... Good Luck

Scott

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »
Thanks alot!!!! ;D