Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 32143 times)

knoxracing

Re: Brakes
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:11 am »
Randy, thank you for the way you post things! Its very good conversation!!  You are totally right. A)they see BM charging $550.00 for calipers, $150.00 for pads, $100.00 for rotors and $100.00 for shoes. PLUS there is more, there is a core charge and if you want the rotors polished. B) The stock caliper is becoming harder to get, more expensive and it is what it is a 79 celica caliper. C)USLC said hey why dont we do it better, we will sell it, we will profit and we wont gouge people. Randy you and I rebuild and sell calipers, we do them cheap and they are decent, BUT the number of complaints USLC gets constantly in regards to the BM stuff is alot. If you were USLC what would you do? I gues that is my question to you, if you were USLC what would you do? Thanks.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 01:02:18 pm »
Randy, thank you for the way you post things! Its very good conversation!!  You are totally right.
A)they see BM charging $550.00 for calipers, $150.00 for pads, $100.00 for rotors and $100.00 for shoes. PLUS there is more, there is a core charge and if you want the rotors polished.
B) The stock caliper is becoming harder to get, more expensive and it is what it is a 79 celica caliper.
C)USLC said hey why dont we do it better, we will sell it, we will profit and we wont gouge people. Randy you and I rebuild and sell calipers, we do them cheap and they are decent, BUT the number of complaints USLC gets constantly in regards to the BM stuff is alot.

If you were USLC what would you do? I gues that is my question to you, if you were USLC what would you do? Thanks.

C) I hope not, but unfortunately just like many other items, once they become an INEX product they cost more that the one without the INEX label; only time will tell.

To answer you question; I don't know what I would do, that is not something I have given much thought to.  

I can tell you I offer and/or steer all of my customers to a cheaper alternative that performs at the same level, or better than anything else on the market.

It all really all boils down to the "buy it" mentality of the person involved in this series. Back in the 70 & 80's when we were racing karts, we called it the pipe of the month club. Every month someone would start winning with a new expansion chamber and everyone would run out and buy the one the winner had.

My dad, decided after a few pipe purchases and we did not get any faster...work on what we have and get faster. Next thing you know everyone had the pipe we were running. I am not one to follow the leader as I want to be the leader, so I research, test and work on my program. Sure, I might have to use a more expensive, better performing brake pad, but there are many other options out there other than BM.

I am still trying to see how this is going to save money over what we have now. If someone whats to buy BM calipers, that is their "option" and they should not be complaining. If they did their own work they would see there are other, more affordable "options" available to them that offer the same or better performance. It just goes back to what I said earlier..."The winner runs it, so I have to have it" mentality. Buy it, buy it buy it...Instant results is what everyone wants.

For now I am going to keep my stock stuff and I will evaluate the new stuff when I see it and it comes out. I will make my decision to buy that "option" then. It will give me great pride to keep using what I have and beating the guys with the new "option". I am sure at one point or another, I will have to convert over because the "option" should be of newer design and will allow a better performing system and that might happen overnight...only time will tell.

Dennis, If you ever have any issue getting a caliper let me know, I can have them normally the same day I order them. I also stock the pistons & seal kits. Once the piston has been replaced the caliper will last forever...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Twebb

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:22 am »
does anyone know how much the new calipers weigh?

knoxracing

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »
I was at USLC today. The new brakes are nice! They are simple, they are nice and will be easy to install. I personaly sa w several calipers they tested, Brembo, Brakeman and Wilwood. Cool stuff, looks like they belong on a race car. I actually think the overall weight will be slightly less than what we have now, we are talking about like a whole pound. LOL, someone asked about the weight, so I wanted to respond to that.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »
Dennis,

What are the Wilwood calipers they are investigating? Dynalite, Dynapro.... ???
Just curious.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 10:12:31 pm »
Sorry Steve, I  was not able to handle them to get a close enough look.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:58 pm »
Thanks! Was just curious.
The dwarf car guys used to use the Dynalites and have moved on to Dynapro and some other brands.
Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 06:49:33 am »
Dennis do you know when they are going to be available? I was talking to John Haggan the other day about an unrelated matter but ask him about them and he said that they would be ready but I couldn't remember when. I need them by the winter nationals. Is that going to happen? Thanks
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 08:21:58 am »
I am not sure , I hear January. My PAST experience tells me you would not have them in time to install them and run them mid Feb..See you in Auburndale!!!!!

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 10:13:33 am »
If they are already available, why are they waiting to make them available for sale? I was just going to call and ask before reading this. Will several someones calling make it happen any sooner?

Robert

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 10:43:45 am »
any idea of cost also?
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 10:51:00 am »
If they are already available, why are they waiting to make them available for sale? I was just going to call and ask before reading this. Will several someones calling make it happen any sooner?

Robert

Most likely because they want to stamp INEX on them so they can charge more for them. :)

knoxracing

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »
I  believe they want to have large quanities available. In the past they have starting to sell new products and did not have enough to get them to everyone that wanted them, it was a mess. I think this has alot to do with them waiting.

Offline dcpainting

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 03:32:21 pm »
Seen new brake calipers today was told they are the one used on rear of thunder roadster the pads are real small like Brando pads and first set of pads sent with setup wore grooves on rotors so 600 sent second set of pads to try have to have mounting plate on rear of spindle 

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »
Does anyone have any follow up info on these brakes… if they were thunder roadster brakes wouldn't they  be available now?