Author Topic: 1200 rebuild  (Read 7526 times)

f2fiddy

1200 rebuild
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:11:06 pm »
They say around 30 races before rebuilding. Typically, are we talking rings and bearings or boring out cyls. and new pistons, I realize we are revving the snot out of an air cooled big block, I just want to be somewhat prepared for the initial shock of maintenance costs associated with extreme fun

Offline thunder938

Re: 1200 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:31:26 pm »
If the motor was and "legends" motor done up at one time, still in good shape , you are looking at 2400ish.  If the motor is a stock motorcycle motor then about 3400ish...

Dave
Dave

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:17:22 pm »
Could you translate that price into parts likely to need looking at replacing?  The price will change, but the parts shouldn't.  Wouldn't mind know what to expect to replace in an engine myself.  My brother is about to start racing with an older open motor, and I'd like to know what we'll have to do to get it in shape for the following season.  I'd rather do the work myself on anything I'm allowed to.  To me, that's all part of racing.  It helps to get a feel for what's going wrong.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:38:54 pm »
i am not builder, so i can tell you eveything.  If the motor is a stocker or a legend motor that needs to refreshed is the big diff in price. You send as much as you want. the main things are slotted cam gears, pinned intake cam, clutch, hd valve springs, pistons, steel sleeves, rod bolts etc.  and the tricks of the builder.  on a open motor if you know what you are doing you can do it. I race with a few guys that do their own motors and they are fast.  The main thing with these cars is corner speed, at least at the small tracks I race at.  You dont need the most HP money can buy to roll in the turn and have good corner speed.  Just  have a motor that will last more that 10 races. (sorry I had to say that because I am parting out a 8 race old sealed motor will all the good stuff that broke the crank@#!@#)  Ihave a fresh open motor in the car now!!!
Dave

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:21:53 pm »
Mega,

You could call Hank Scott, he would be able to give you a breakdown about that needs to be replaced and why acording to the age of the engine and such, he is a really nice guy and knows his stuff about rebuilds. Here is his email address realracecars@ctc.net hope this helps.

Mike.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:41:53 pm »
Thanks Mike,

I think I'll do that in the new year.  My own engine is a sealed, and I'm likely to keep it that way no matter the costs, but my brother's is an open engine, and that means we get to have fun next winter re-building an engine.  Just need a run down on what to look for, and what's standard on a rebuild.  Also wouldn't mind knowing how many re-builds you can give an engine before you're looking at a new engine. (Providing you haven't blown it and done casing damage...)

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

anything