Author Topic: aluminum brake lines  (Read 17078 times)

Offline racerdad

aluminum brake lines
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »
has any one ever used aluminum brake lines? trying to loose some weight.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: aluminum brake lines
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:14:50 pm »
I don't think you will save much weight. All my lines are braided SS with aluminum fittings.
The weight is not that significant of a savings.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:40:38 pm »
that is true its not much but i need to loose alot of weight. i have talked to people that are over 100 pounds lighter than our car with no lead.so i need to get rid of every pound i can get. if i can loose 1 pound i do that 10 times thats 10 pounds
thanks cody

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:54:10 pm »
Understood. Lose things like the tach and gauges (2 -4 lbs). Look at lighter weight wheels (if you don't already have them). The aluminum hard lines will save a little. You will still need braided lines to the front calipers. Lay off the meat and potatoes. lol! You have the right idea; cut back an ounce at a time if that's what it takes.

Steve

Offline racerdad

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:45:27 am »
i think the rims will be after she get faster still have 3 full sets of strait bassets. you know when i said over 100 pounds thats with out driver and lead
thanks cody

Offline dbradley

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:46:17 am »
Somebody's scales are way off!! I'm thinking it is who you are talking to..100 lbs is not going to happen..all the required components HAVE to be there. I can see 10-20 lbs, but 100???
Darin

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:08:15 am »
Was it a used chassis? Just wondering that maybe someone filled a few bars, but i agree 100 pounds is alot to be heavy by
Dan

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:40 am »
I don't think you will save much weight. All my lines are braided SS with aluminum fittings.
The weight is not that significant of a savings.

Steve

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but the guys at Aeroquip advised against braided line throughout, can cause a spongy feel in brake pedal. Probably wont affect Steve's racing style, but they advised against it for regular racing...and that's from a company that could have sold alot of $$ worth of parts, so I will go with their advisement.

How did you weigh the chassis? If you didn't use all four scale pads, it could be off. If used all 4, what were the percentages? That would let you know if someone filled the left side with lead or something like that
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline racerdad

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 12:40:14 pm »
i did use all 4 scale pads. i had it on 4 jack stands subtracted the weight of the the jack stands and got my total (270 pounds). i did not check what each corner  was. 600 says that a new chassi weighs 275 pounds. i was sure that there was lead in the chassi but it weighs what 600 said it should.

for those that say  her car could not be that heavy with out driver no lead full of fuel her car weighs 1198 pounds. i have talked to lots of people that say there car is alot under  that.
thanks cody

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:48:50 pm »
My 34 coupe is 1086 with no driver and no lead with heavy wheels and a beadlock.
How much does the seat weigh? Nice, big containment seat will add pounds, but they are necessary pounds
How much does the driver weigh?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline racerdad

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »
yes she uses a full containment seat but as you said she will not race with out it. shes  tall and about 200 pounds ( she would kill me if she read that). i also have the heavy wheels but no beadlock.  i did do some things wrong when i went through the car last year but i do not thick it was 100 pound of wrong. if i could loose 50 pounds off the car i would super happy.
thanks cody

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 04:27:47 pm »
If I could lose 50 pounds off of me I would be super happy!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:22:39 pm »
Weighing the car on jack stands could be throwing off your numbers off. If you want to try to compare numbers, look over this thread on "How much does your Legend weigh".
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=305.0

I agree with Jim on the braided brake lines. Not best to go braided throughout. The aluminum hard lines would save you a few ounces.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 10:29:07 pm »
I can't think of 50 pounds of excess stuff to take off.
I'd re-weigh it somehow...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 06:31:29 am »
If it is truly that much over here are some places to look. I am of course assuming that you bought a used car.

1. Make sure the floor pan is the correct thickness.

2. Take a flexible rod(or something) and run it down your frame tubes. It has been know that people add lead to them.

3. Tap at the bottom of the roll cage any where (especially on the left side) touches the frame rail. People have filled these with lead shot also.

These are just some of the place people with light kids add weight. They do this because they run out of room for lead the correct way. Just trying to help but I to think I would check my scales first.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing