Author Topic: Where to start? Help!!!!  (Read 8357 times)

Offline Lotus0606

Where to start? Help!!!!
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:11:43 pm »
First off This is a very good forum LOTS OF good information i have learned by ready what has been posted in the past. Thanks For that. Well i am a new to the forum i have the racing fever and want to get into some how some way
I have been thinking about if for a couple of years now and really want to make it happen some way or another. I am 26 yrs old and have been active duty miliary for over 6 years now. I just recently move to the Panhandle of FL there is a track about 2 hrs away SUNNY SOUTH SPEEDWAY. I have been doing the research and have read my tail off trying to figure out how i can make this happen. I know racing is a never ending expense Check lession number one . Just trying to figure out what is the best way to start buy a roller and start from there or purchase a race ready deal. I dont have a whole lot off $$  3 to 4 thousand to start I just really want to start somewhere i have a very good understanding on how things work and love mechanical work so if i where to buy a roller that part dosnt bother me. I any of you have any good advice or know of someone who has a great deal that they would like to share with me feel free to speak you mind open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks David Beardsley

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Where to start? Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:29:06 pm »
Welcome to the site, and THANK YOU for your service.
I think the best way to get going on a limited budget is to buy a used car, and improve on it from there
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Lotus0606

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »
Thanks for the response Thats the way i think im going to have to go! Just trying to keep my eye out for the right deal!!!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:34:34 pm »
Now is the time with the season wrapping up that you will most likely find the best deals. Just remember you often get what you pay for. Check in with some of the FL guys, maybe someone will help you out when looking at a car...or you can pay my airfare and I'll go shopping with you  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Zero Hero

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 10:00:49 pm »
Lotus,

I recently left Hurlburt Fld (I flew the AC-130U) for a desk near DC...I really miss Crab Island right now.  Anyway I too caught the racing bug about a year ago and bought a used legend car.  Couple of months ago there was a used legends setup on racinggjunk from a guy over in P'cola, the car was a white 37 chevy I believe with red, white, and blue flag themed wrap....pretty sharp looking for about $7000.  Your 3-4000 dollar budget is going to be tough, you can get a roller for that, but probably not a complete setup.  I would suggest going to the snowball derby in Dec and asking around the pits for guys that race legends or check the Sunny South raceway website.  I'm sure some locals would love to help you out.  Also southern raceway is a dirt track up in milton that you could get a stinger car for the money you have and race there...just a thought, but legends are WAY cooler.  Enjoy the FL panhandle, truly one of the best places to live in the country!

If you decide to get a roller heres one not to far from you.....I would offer him $2500 and negotiate from there.  
http://www.racingjunk.com/Dwarf-Legends/2747221/37-Ford-Sedan-Legends-Car.html

Or if you have $4 grand cash and decent negotiating skills you could try this one
http://www.racingjunk.com/Dwarf-Legends/2717754/37-Chevy-Coupe.html

Good Luck!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:51:12 am »
The only downside to buying a roller (no engine) is that often, one doesn't carry through and finish the project.
Hopefully, you can find a complete car and spend your winter rebuilding.
We do have several members in FL. Perhaps they have a car for sale or know someone who does.
Welcome to the forum!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »
This car belongs to a friend of mine. He has sold his two cars and this car was his Dad's and to tell the truth I never saw him race it. He might have just practiced it but I don't know that for sure. This is a 2011 chassis and a strong motor. It would be a great car not only to start but would be a good car for a long time. You won't find many at this price for what your getting. Let me know if you are interested and send me a PM and I will give you his phone number if you want to talk to him. The car is in the Washington DC area.

Scott

PS I get no commission on this....hahaha
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:05:26 pm »
Here is another  http://www.racingjunk.com/Dwarf-Legends/2717617/Legend-For-Sale.html

Smokey is afriend of mine

Robert

Offline IraceLegends77

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 10:07:59 am »
That car was such a deal I bought it.

anything