Author Topic: Aluminum master brake cylinder  (Read 11032 times)

Offline jfm0

Aluminum master brake cylinder
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »
Does anyone know a part number for an aluminum master brake cylinder for our Legends car?  Or better yet where we could get one?  Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Aluminum master brake cylinder
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:15:12 pm »
If I recall correctly, there are only 2 master cyinders that are legal for Legends Cars. Jim, Dennis, Randy and some of our other friends here on the site sell them.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:38:57 pm »
I believe it was off of a 8.3-84 Dodge Colt, but not certain. It was only available the first couple of years they built the cars.
Disadvantage: the reservoir is on the master cylinder, not remote, so your brake fluid is right under the exhaust getting nice and hot.
I wouldnt think it was worth the little bit of weight savings...just my opinion
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »
You can remote mount the reservoir on the Alu. cylinder. i have had alot of problems with the Alu. leaking. The only difference is the bore size, creates a stiffer pedal. E=Bay, they are listed under  Legends  race car stuff. They are legal as of now. I will post a new subject in regards to the latest new on braking from USLC.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 10:14:28 am »
You can not remote mount the reservoir, at least that is how I read Scott's answer, why else would he be sure to specify where the reservoir is?
See below:

"Mr. Bucher,

Originally the Legends Car did come with an aluminum master cylinder (with the reservoir mounted on top of it). That master cylinder is still considered legal for use at INEX sanctioned events.
Your best bet will be to call the parts department at US Legend Cars International (704) 455-3896, to check and see if the one you have is the same as the one they used in production.

Sincerely,
Scott Reinhardt
(INEX National Tech Director) "
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
The stock reservoir is remote mount. Where does he say you can not remote mount the reservoir?  You can use an Alu. master and use the current remote tank. You can also use aftermarket resrvoirs. There is an adapter to remote the resrvoir, you can view it on e-bay. Scott suggested that you use the current production master cylinder, he did not say anything was illegal.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:04:50 pm »
Where does he say that you can Dennis?
Yes, the stock MC is remote mount, but it was not when they were sold with the aluminum MC.
You're a dealer, get the information out to the people.
If you can run an aluminum brake master cylinder with a remote reservoir, get it in writing, and post it like I did.

The rule book says, "If this rulebook does not specifically say that
you can change/modify/add something, then
you must consider that the change/modification/
addition is illegal."

"Brake Master Cylinder - The brake master cylinder must remain stock, within the stock dimensions, location and configurations as currently delivered by U.S. Legend Cars International. The brake master cylinder must remain on the engine side of the firewall. No aftermarket brake master cylinders are permitted. Aftermarket remote reservoirs are permitted."

As delivered is not, and never was, aluminum with a remote reservoir. They are making an exception for people who still have the aluminum master cylinders with the reservoir on top  so that they don't have to buy new ones. You're a dealer Dennis, make sure you are giving correct information to your potential customers.
The OP wanted to know what the part number of the legal one is, if you have it, share it with him, along with an email from Scott that it is legal with the remote reservoir.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but thats what I got out of it. Not that it matters to me, I'm not going to run aluminum either way.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 10:00:22 pm »
well i run the aluminum one with the twin remote tanks fron RPM...just my 2 cents
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:12 pm »
And that could very well be fine, I just didn't get that impression from Scott's email, thats why I am looking for clarification.
USLC no longer responds to my requests for information even though I am a license carrying driver.
Depends on tech too. Some are good, some let anything slide, some are bullied into letting things go for the sake of car count
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:25 pm »
Jim,  I understand your point, however I did see cars running aluminum masters with remote reservoirs at our local asphalt tracks and tech inspector said nothing.   So although I interpret the rule the same you as you do, I guess they're OK... ::)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15:18 am »
From Scott Reinhart:

Mr. Bucher,

Yes, the Original aluminum brake master cylinder used by 600 Racing Inc. is still legal to use in INEX sanctioned competition. And, yes it is legal to use an aftermarket remote reservoir with these master cylinders.

Sincerely,

Scott Reinhardt

(INEX Executive Technical Director).

I stand corrected.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

knoxracing

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 10:39:10 am »
Jim, this is the problem with alot of stuff, then the local tech sees it another way. We need better tech training. I have suggested many times that during the winter there needs to be tech seminars around the country.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 10:42:16 am »
Dennis,    Amen...you hit the nail right on the head.  ;)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x