Author Topic: New rack plate...  (Read 4883 times)

Offline slack11

New rack plate...
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:06:37 pm »
How many are running the new 1/4" rack plate instead of the 1/8".  Have had people tell me that they didn't like the thicker ones, too stiff and they are breaking racks now instead of bending the plate.  Any opinions?  Gotta replace mine this week and just wondering which way to go.

Offline Legends57x

Re: New rack plate...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:32:58 pm »
I just made my own rack plate straightener with two pieces of 1" thick steel drill with same three hole locations and 1/2" bolts.  I then made  and installed another rack plate out of 1/8" thick steel with slightly long rack bolts and still ended up with a thicker plate(total of 1/4") that won't bend quite as easy and yet potentially save the rack box from getting damaged easier.   Just another option to consider.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:27:16 pm »
...they are breaking racks now instead of bending the plate. 

Do you know what they are breaking? The rack is pretty stout and I am interested in what is being damaged?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:21:04 pm »
I'll ask some more questions.....  I jumped someone's right rear, tagged the wall and broke a spindle, but when the car landed it bent the whole steering rack plate and that bar back and upwards....  With that flimsy 1/8 plate, there  was nothing holding the bar from being pushed back and up......  With a 1/4 plate at least there should be some support from it being pushed back like that again....  I have been running the 1/8 additional plate under the rack also, so I might as well increase the whole bent plate to 1/4".  After hearing what a couple of guys have told me, just wanted to see if there was some different opinions out there.   I purposely run the standard weaker heim ends in the front tie rods, so they will bend and break before the rack would take the abuse.  They are a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the rack $$$$$.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »
Dave Comer showed me the new 1/4"  rack plate. Looks pretty stout compared to the flimsy 1/8" plate.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.