Author Topic: Why is my car not going into gear?  (Read 12410 times)

Offline Rodney86

Why is my car not going into gear?
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:45:16 pm »
My son and I are new to Legends cars....we just bought a used car last week.  The car only has 6 races on the motor, but when I test drove the car it would only go into 1 st and 2nd gear, I was told the linkage was probably loose, which I have heard is common.  When I got the car home and started looking the linkage was fine and I even disconnected it from the motor.  After checking for anything loose, I could sometimes get no 1st, but 2nd and 3rd, then sometimes I can get nothing.  Is this anything major?....hope not.  Any help is needed since we are racing on a budget (isn't everyone..LOL)

German Motorsports

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Why is my car not going into gear?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »
Probably just out of adjustment.
Takes a little fiddeling with to get it adjusted right.
Perhaps your dealer or someone from the track can help you get the proper adjustments.
If you post where you race or fill out your profile, perhaps we can find someone in your area to help you out.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:19:03 am »
Being unfamilliar with Legends it is hard to guide you through the issue . The splines on the shifter are touchy, a little too high or low and it effects it differently. Is the arm that goes over the splines steel or Aluminum? If it is aluminum it may be slipping, it is very common that the shift lever if aluminum is slipping. Steel shift levers are available and now the norm. Keep posting or call me. What area are you in?
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline Rodney86

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »
I am located in Clover, SC.  Not far outside of  Charlotte.  I does have an aluminum lever, so I guess I will try to get a steel one and see if this helps....I really hope so.  Thanks again guys, I will let you know how it comes out.  By the way, where do I get one?  600 racing?
German Motorsports

Offline The Tank

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:28:47 pm »
I am located in Clover, SC.  Not far outside of  Charlotte.  I does have an aluminum lever, so I guess I will try to get a steel one and see if this helps....I really hope so.  Thanks again guys, I will let you know how it comes out.  By the way, where do I get one?  600 racing?

Off topic but I will be up your way later this year racing hopefully. Only I wont be in a legends. The track I'm going to is located in York which I think is pretty close to you.

Offline Rodney86

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:22:37 pm »
What is the name of it?
German Motorsports

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »
I will try to get a steel one and see if this helps....I really hope so.  Thanks again guys, I will let you know how it comes out.  By the way, where do I get one?  600 racing?

Here ya go; Steel Shift Lever

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline The Tank

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 04:41:02 pm »
What is the name of it?

Phatbottom Speedway

It's a lawnmower racing track but they are now racing the new mini late models there as well. That's what I will be there racing is the mini. Just ironic when I seen you said you were from Clover. I'm from Southeast Georgia and York is about a 4 hour drive for me.

Offline Rodney86

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 05:40:43 pm »
I actually have a York address and the track is about 2 minutes from my house.  When are you guys running there?  I would like to see that.
German Motorsports

Offline The Tank

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:13:06 pm »
Im not sure how their schedule is but they are running every time the track is open after the mowers are done. If you are interested in the schedule send me a PM and Ill find out for you.

Offline Rodney86

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:11 pm »
Ok guys, I still need help.  I got the new steel shifter lever in today and put it on, playing with different adjustments and I can still only get 1st gear right now.  This is me shifting by hand at the transmission, I have disconnected the shifter.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
German Motorsports

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »
Does it stay in 1st, or can you get it into neutral?
How ling was the car sitting before you bought it?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »
Are you trying to shift it by hand with the engine turned off or running?

If it is off, you need to turn the driveshaft while trying to change gears to allow the cogs & windows to align and mesh into gear.

Do you have any history on the engine that is in the car other than 6 races? Did it shift okay during those 6 races? If the center shift fork was put in backwards then it will not shift into anything but 1st...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Rodney86

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 11:52:05 am »
Thanks Randy, I have been doing it with the engine off, I will try with it on today.  As far as I know it shifted good during the 6 races.  It is a Curt Andrews motor.  I will let you know if it works.  Where are you located if I decide to get someone to look at it!
German Motorsports

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 12:50:49 pm »
Randy is in California
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/