Author Topic: wheel base vs castor  (Read 6748 times)

Offline north pole racer

wheel base vs castor
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »
i know some of this stuff is as much magic as it is science so heres the question, if someone could explain this to me in a way i could understand or am i overthinkn it. everyone is sayn to have the rh wheelbase a tab shorter then the left. now if the rear end is squared to the frt of the frame and you have 2-3 degrees of castor split wouldnt that automatically make the rh side shorter? am i missing something or am i overthinkn it?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: wheel base vs castor
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »
Adjusting caster doesnt necessarily alter wheelbase
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline The Tank

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »
Are you turning right? I dont know much about these cars so forgive my ignorance if Im wrong but I would think you would want the left side shorter for a LTO (left turn only) track.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »
yes the right side is shorter because that right front tire is leaned back more say 4 degrees that could give you maybe a 1/16 to an 1/8 inch shorter on the right side.  To adjust for the rest of the difference in wheel base adjust the lower control arm but be sure to recheck your caster after because it will change.

Dan

Offline north pole racer

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:54:50 am »
ok,got it. the wheelbase wouldnt change if you brought the top back and the bottom forward. castor would change w/o changing wheelbase. i didnt think of it that way, only concidered changing castor with top arm. thanx!

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:25:02 am »
Just be careful with how much you adjust the lower control arm if you bring it back to far there is a chance it could bind up the hiem

Dan

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »
Dan,

Do you mean the upper? With positive caster that is run in the RF of between 3-5*, I can't think of any instance when the lower would be bound up from being to short.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »
No i was just saying in an extreme case the lower could get bound up. Sorry for the confusion.

Dan