Author Topic: Aero question  (Read 7589 times)

Offline IraceLegends77

Aero question
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:41:13 pm »
Any one know what the new Aero wheels cost and what is the difference in weight over the Bassett? Thanks

Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Aero question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:21:24 pm »
The Aero's and Bassets are both 13 lb wheels, I believe the price is $79.95, but not certain.

Had me worried there until I read the post, thought we were going to start discussing Aerodynamics of Legends cars, or lack thereof  :D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »
I was hoping for a discussion on areo! Of course none of it would be legal! lol!!!
John G. would appreciate my comments on a large wing. lmao!!!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »
OK...for the sake of discussion.  Jim is correct on the pricing and I personally ran the lightweight Aero wheels on my car for the first part of the season.  Me being dumb and thinking everyone else would buy them since they are of course lightweight(like everything else these days), found out later I was about the only one in our area who did, at least on asphalt.  I saw another set on a dirt car at Beaver Dam.  Neither myself or the dirt car are lighting the world on fire using the Aero lightweight wheels and are consistently being beat by drivers with the original heavier wheels.  Yes, the driver could be at fault too, but you may want to think twice before spending $320 that you probably do not have to spend.  Aero wheels are good products, however, lightweight is not always needed in my opinon.  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:45:40 am »
Well, the way I have it figured is that at 13 lbs. a rim that is about 15lbs. of un-sprung weight lost. I have read that un-sprung  weight is 3 to 1 to sprung weight so with that knowledge it is like getting rid of 45 lbs. How's that for public education. I'm just looking to get rid of weight and I know that it comes at a price and the cheapest place is for me to drop 20 lbs is off me but that is probable not going to happen.......LOL.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:44 am »
The lightweight wheels are a 3 fold benefit.  1. Overall lighter weight of the car, allows you to add lead where it is beneficial. 2. Like you said, it is sprung weight. Sprung weight effects the handling of the car, as the less sprung weight, the less weight the springs need to handle. 3. It is less rotating weight. This means faster acceleration, and easier braking.

Yes, they are more expensive, but go to the big races (shootout, Big money race, or any where else the top guys are running) and look at the wheels being used. The majority of them are running the lightweight wheels. Do you NEED to run them to win? No. But if you are going to buy new wheels anyway, it is worth the money.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Andy S

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:57:12 pm »
I just bought a set of 4 from US Legends for $372 with shipping to MD.